Question re: RCT3 on IMAC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Vilified V, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Vilified V macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased my BTO 27'. I got all the upgrades. I only need to install Windows on my imac for one reason, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (I know they make it for Mac too but it is not as stable)

So my questions is, has anyone had any experience in relation to what the best configuration is to play RCT3 on the new 2011 imacs? Should I run it out of bootcamp or a VM and if you are running it, is it out of Windows 7 or XP? Its an older game so I was thinking it might work good out of a VM.

Any experience with this? Thanks.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My experience in playing games in a VM hasn't been a good one. I tried playing Battlefield 2 on WinXP through VMWare Fusion and it just wouldn't play right. I had plenty of hardware resources dedicated to the VM and all too.

I would recommend playing the game through Bootcamp on whichever Microsoft OS you prefer. That way the OS and game have native access to the hardware.

Perhaps others have had better success in gaming through a VM.

3. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

NEVER play games with a virtual machine. Just running 2 OS at the same time puts your CPU under considerable strain. Always choose bootcamp for gaming or other CPU intense work.