Question Re: Ripping/Converting DVD to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jeremyf0923, Apr 22, 2011.

1. jeremyf0923 macrumors newbie

Good afternoon,

I have searched and searched this forum and the internet overall and can't seem to find a straight answer. I think I may have figured everything out, but would really like for someone to confirm for me.

So I am ripping DVDs that I own to play on my iPad. My understanding is that the key to picture quality is the bit rate not the resolution. For iPad you should convert everything to 640x480 resolution with a bit rate 1,500Kbps or higher. From what I have read, 640x480 is ideal regardless of whether the DVD is 4:3 or 16:9. Additionally, while H.264 video code is superior to MPEG4, when viewing only on your iPad the MPEG4 format is fine and takes significantly less time to convert although files sizes may be a bit bigger.

Do I have all of the facts right above or do I have some misinformation?

I am using Magic DVD Ripper on a fairly new dual core Windows 7 64 bit laptop and it is taking about 90 minutes to rip a 2 hr DVD at 640x480 resolution at 2500Kbps in MP4 format. Does that sound reasonable?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a better piece of software to use that may rip the DVD faster? I know a faster (quad core) machine would also help, but not investing in a new PC at this time.

Any feedback/guidance provided would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I use handbreak. Works great for me and from what I've heard from other people, it's one of the best pieces of software when it comes to ripping DVDs, or converting videos in general. Fast, easy, and powerful.

3. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Download the latest version of Handbrake and VLC player, or Mac the Ripper. Then use Handbrake to rip your DVDs, using the iPad setting.

4. jeremyf0923 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does VLC do the DVD decryption? Never heard of VLC. Handbreak is VERY slow on my laptop - takes 4 hours to convert A 2 hr DVD to H.264. Assuming I had a new quad core Intel processor, I wonder how long it would take. Any ideas? Looking for a good excuse to replace my 5 yr old desktop PC.

5. raygungirl macrumors member

raygungirl

VLC's been around for a long time. It's a nice little app, but I've never used it to rip anything. Here's the website:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I use Handbrake and Mac the Ripper to rip DVDs to mp4 files for my iPad/iPhone/Mac, but I don't do it often... so I usually forget how to do it until I need to do it again. Handbrake is slow on my iMac, too, but I kinda just assumed that's how long it takes, haha.

6. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

There's also this program, MacX DVD Ripper, which is apparently free for Easter weekend. I saw this on another site, and figured I'd give it a try. IT works well, and has a little bit of a nicer interface than Handbrake.

http://www.macxdvd.com/special-offer/

7. MrWillie, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I have an iMac 1,8 2.66 with 2gigs running Snow Lep, and an external 1TB hard drive. I was originally using Mac the Ripper to rip the DVD to hd, then Handbrake to convert it. Handbrake says it doesn't decrypt commercial DVDs, but a while back someone told me if you have VLC player or Mac the Ripper installed Handbrake will decrypt. So I tried it. Put in DVD, opened Handbrake, set to IPad, let her rip... flawless, and saved a step. It been a few months, and I have never timed it, but it seemed to take a half hour or so. When the wife gets off the 'puter I'll rip/convert one to iPad, and post the time. Like I said, I just used the iPad setting and didn't tweak anything.

Edit: 54 minutes to convert a 1 hour 29 min 40 sec movie using ver 0.9.5 intel 64 of HB, iPad default settings, destination external drive, Snow Lep booted into 64bit mode.