Question re: selling my iMac on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by m021478, Jun 1, 2010.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

I posted my iMac for sale on Craigslist and a potential buyer emailed me and said he wants to buy my iMac from me tomorrow once he gets the cash together later tonight...

In the meantime, he asked for my iMac's serial number so that he can check to make sure it's not stolen from this site: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Sounds legit, but I wasn't sure if there is some way that I can get burned by handing out my iMac's serial number to a complete stranger over the phone from a Craigslist listing I made...

Any know for sure if this is safe to do or not?

Thanks!

2. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Couldn't you do the serial check yourself, then save the page as a pdf and send it to the potential buyer?

3. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

craigslist buyers are usually very fickle and there are many scammers around you would be a fool to give it away there or anywhere else for that matter.

4. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I guess I could do that, but quite frankly, if I were selling a stolen computer on Craigslist, this is probably something I would do to appease a potential buyer, so I am not sure how much reassurance doing this will give the potential buyer (as I know it wouldn't give me much assurance)...

Why would I be a fool to share the serial number? (this brings me right back to the original question) ~ Can sharing the hardware serial number for an iMac in my possession somehow come around and bite me in the butt? How could someone use this information to pull a fast one on me?

Any known examples of actual malicious actions that could potentially be taken by a stranger who comes across my serial number would be great

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

There's not much of consequence that anyone could do with the serial number, other than perhaps try to pass it along as their own in their own craigslist/ebay scam...