Question re TB3 dongle / USB-A dongle

DookSucks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
NC
If I get a TB3 dongle, will I be able to plug in a USB-A (3.0) dongle into the USB slot on the TB3 dongle? Given the size of some of the stuff I print and scan, it's far more efficient for me to use USB than wireless. If I upgrade to a new(er) MBP in the next few years, I want to know if I can put a USB-A dongle into the TB3 dongle given the high number of USB-A plugs in use.

Are there any issues with shielding/interference I need to know about?

Which dongles would you recommend?

Are there any TB3 Dongles that put out dual video and input power? I'm not taking about a docking station or one of those damned oblong eyesores with two usb-c/tb3 plugs/prongs you slide into the side of the MBP. I'm talking about a cabled-dongle.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Your post is "all over the place".

You have a Macbook with USBc ports, is this correct?

What are you trying to connect it to?
(that's the important question)

Reactions: dwig

DookSucks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
NC
Your post is "all over the place".

You have a Macbook with USBc ports, is this correct?

What are you trying to connect it to?
(that's the important question)
I have two monitors and 3-4 USB-A devices to which I need to connect (along with occasional usage of Ethernet cable)

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
For the USBa devices, get little dongles like these (if you wish to connect them directly):
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Adapter-USB-C-Inches/dp/B00UUBQ0U8/ref=sr_1_21?crid=2RPNO849D6PB4&keywords=usbc+to+usba+female&qid=1554512146&s=gateway&sprefix=usbc+to+usba,aps,137&sr=8-21

Or, get a USB3 hub of some sort.
I recommend a POWERED hub (with its own power supply).

Or, you could get a dock of some sort.

For the displays:
What matters is what kind of connection the display has.
Are they HDMI?
Are they DVI?
Are they VGA?
Are they displayport?
Or... something else?

Once you know that, you can get a USBc (Mac end) to xxxx (display end) cable (for each display).

Some docks have more than one display output.
But docks can be considerably more expensive than buying a few cables.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I have two monitors and 3-4 USB-A devices to which I need to connect (along with occasional usage of Ethernet cable)
With 2 monitors, I believe you'll want to use a TB3 connection, dock or dongle. As I understand it, macOS does not support dual stream video over USB so any dual monitor dongle/docks will only be able to work in the "mirror" mode and not "extended" even though they may support "extended" when connected to a Windows machine.

The resolution of your monitors is as important and the connection interface. Dual monitor support over USB generally limits 4k monitors to 30Hz. Again, you may be better off with a TB3 dock if you need 4k at 60Hz.