Question re: the refurbished iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raptor96, Mar 5, 2008.

1. raptor96 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

So I did a search (albeit cursory) on this but didn't find the info I needed so here goes: I just bought a refurb iPhone (8gb) from the AT&T store (Natick) and am trying to get it set up to use on T-Mobile.

When I bought the phone the guy was like oh yeah it's for new activations only so that's why we haven't sold out...and I thought you have to register/activate through iTunes before you can jailbreak it to use w/ another carrier but from what I am reading this isn't true.

So here's my question - my iPhone didn't come with a SIM, and when I bought the phone I signed nothing - all he did was take my SSN, name and employer and gave me a credit approval and then sold me the phone for 249. Am I obligated in any way - i.e. do I need to call and cancel a contract or anything or have I not signed up for anything at this point?

And second, once I use ziPhone to unlock (or any prog you all recommend) do I need to do anything else in order to a) use my T-Mo SIM and b) avoid being beholden to AT&T in any way?

Thanks in advance!:D

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

how did it not come with a sim? Did att take it out and hold it hostage??

3. raptor96 thread starter macrumors regular

Good question - not quite sure but I've seen other reports of refurb buyers not getting a SIM w/ their phones, I guess they give you a SIM when you sign? I'm not sure but I don't really have a problem w/ that as long as I can activate my phone w/o it since I have a T-Mo SIM anyway.

4. D3lta macrumors 6502a

"all he did was take my SSN, name and employer and gave me a credit approval"

Off-topic question, but do all AT&T stores do this? Including Apple Stores, too?

I'm going to buy an iPhone tomorrow and I don't feel comfrontable giving out my SSN...

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

if they ask just say its a gift and they should let you go....

6. agentornge33 macrumors newbie

I'm currently on AT&T and they sold me two refurbs at the Natick Collection AT&T so it's not true that you need to be a new customer. That's just what the memo to the stores said but it also supposedly included a note to managers that they could approve current customers in certain cases. The two iPhones I bought from Natick also didn't have the SIM cards but I just went back the next day and they put in two new ones...don't know if this helps but good luck...

7. raptor96 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey I actually meant to post in the refurb phones post in response to you - thanks so much for the tip. I had actually called all the stores you mentioned (the Central Square guy was actually really rude and was like "AT&T will NOT be getting that I don't know why you customers keep calling here and saying that, we're not an Apple store" o_O) and none had them, but then I saw your post and ended up going to Natick via Zipcar after work. So thanks very much - my T-Mobile'd iPhone and I thank you!

But I'm definitely still wondering about the contract thing and whether I am obligated to take up a contract (cuz if so I would just take it and cancel in 5 days) but I don't know how to find out. Hope someone can help with that.