Question RE: Thunderbolt & USB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by StuMcBill, Jul 26, 2011.

1. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

Hi

I am planning on getting a MPB when they get the Ivy Bridge refresh, and I am assuming that the 13" will still have 2 x USB and 1 x Thunderbolt.

I have 2 External USB Hard Drives, so if I connected them both, my USB ports would be all full up.

I have heard about "crossing over" Thunderbolt to other connectors and also "daisy chaining" Thunderbolt devices together.

So my question is, would it be possible to obtain a cable which goes from Thunderbolt -> miniUSB & Thunderbolt port, and then connect another cable (Thunderbolt -> miniUSB & Thunderbolt port), therefore connecting both of my USB Hard Drives and still having a free Thunderbolt Port (on the end of a cable) and both MB mounted USB ports free?

Would this work, or have I misunderstood the situation?

Thanks

Stew

2. jcpenn macrumors member

the easier way is to get an apple new display that has thunderbolt to connect usb, firewire, ethernet and display port all together. currently no one is selling thunderbolt end-point hub.
    also, you might want to consider just a simple usb2 hub, thus, you will only need to use one of your u2 ports and free up another one.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

I also suggest getting a USB hub. You'll only get a mess of cables from what you're suggesting, and even if they do make a TB hub later, you'll probably find yourself running out of USB ports on that hub too. I'm currently using two hubs and I'm almost needing a third myself.

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I have a 7 port hub, and a four port built into my monitor, and most of those ports are in use in one manner or another. Much cheaper and simpler than some crazy TB solution.