Question re upgrading/replacing a hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Dec 1, 2007.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Hi Guys,
    I am looking at replacing my B/W G3's 12 gig drive with an 80 gigger and then having the old drive as a second drive. Does that make sense?
    My Mac, a rev 2, is running 9.2.1 but I am expecting a boxed, brand new Panther retail DVD in the post any day now. I also have a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80 gb ATA/133 hard drive which I have just pulled out of a windows PC so it has winXP and loads of Windows stuff on it.
    I already understand that the 133 bit won't make any difference on this older machine. I have also seen a few web pages that tell you how to install a second hard drive but none that tell you how to replace the original hard drive.
    As I see it, there are a few ways to go.
    Add the second drive as a slave, format it and then install the Panther on the new drive. Then swap the drives and restart so the Mac starts from the new disk's Panther OS, and then format the original drive.
    Add the second drive as a slave, format it and then swap the drives, install the Panther on the new drive and then format the original drive.
    Replace the original hard drive, format the drive, install Panther and then add the original drive as the slave.
    The only snag is that I don't really understand wqhat I just wrote :confused:
    I mean, if there is no Mac operating system running, will the Mac start up and allow me to format the new drive?

Are you guys sick of my questions yet?
    Cheers,
    Steve

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

The last option you wrote (swapping the 80gb in for the 12gb and putting the 12 in as slave) will work. Then you can boot on the Panther install disk to both install Panther, and you could also wipe the 12gb drive from that, or wait, wouldn't matter. Only bit I am sketchy on is if the 12gb drive needs to be set as a slave, I suppose it does, this is done by moving connector on the back of the drive, there should be a diagram on the drive telling where to put it.

3. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, Vader.
    Does this somehow mean that removing the OS from the Mac will still enable me to format the new drive and install OS X?