Question re: upgrading to 4S (unlimited data)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mattyk182, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Mattyk182 macrumors member

So I own a 3gs now and I finally decided to preorder the 4S. I am grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan and I am available for the upgrade on AT&T. I just went to pre-order on their site and I got to the page where it asked me to set up my messaging plan and what not. I put unlimited data since that's what I have now and I went to checkout and it said it was added and deleted or something like that so it confused me. Did anyone else who has unlimited data have trouble upgrading? I just want to make sure it's safe to upgrade and keep the plan I'm on right now. Any answers would be really appreciated!

2. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

If it's indicating you have unlimited data, then you should be fine. Others have mentioned that AT&T changed the way the unlimited data reads to potentially be device-specific so the new unlimited data says "unlimited for iPhone 4S" or something that that effect.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you have unlimited data right now, you will be grandfathered in on your upgrade. That unless you, yourself, decide to change it. I did the same as you, 3GS --> 4S and I retained my unlimited data and confirmed it with an AT&T rep.

4. Mattyk182 thread starter macrumors member

I just want to be safe because I've never preordered an iPhone before.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You ought to be safe. I never pre-ordered one either and the AT&T website and rep confirmed my unlimited status.

6. Motorheadbanger macrumors member

I was confused about the way AT&T asked you to select which messaging plan you wanted. I currently have the 200 messages for $5, which on their site wasn't an option. I decided to do my pre-order through Apple's site and I didn't even have to select which messaging plan I wanted as it was already selected for me. All I had to do was choose my data plan (unlimited) and that was it. Much less confusing, for me anyway....

7. Mattyk182 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to pre-order on apple.com which was much easier. It said I should have it between the 24th and 31st. Can't wait!