Question re: using minimal windows software on MBA

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by elazarus, Jul 18, 2012.

1. elazarus macrumors newbie

Hello,

After buying an Ultrabook that has the worst trackpad I have seen, I have decided to get a MB air. I own an ipad, iphone and ipod so I am sold on systems.

I bought the Ultrabook as I needed a backup for my business Desktop PC and wanted something that I could travel with that was lighter than my old laptop.

My question is: knowing that I would need to buy Windows 7 and Parallels in order to Run MS Office (need to send .doc and .xls files to clients) and Quickbooks (again, this would be used only as a backup just in case or when traveling) is that the way to go or am I better off buying MS Office for MAC and Quickbooks for MAC?

E-mail and internet are pretty good on the iOS so I am probably comfortable with them on OS X.
    Any thoughts?

Thank you

Elliot

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Excel is terrible when running it as a virtual machine because many common keyboard shortcuts just don't work.

While word for the mac works fine, I would still recommend having the windows version. I'm assuming your clients are mostly windows users. The problem with word for the mac is that after you save a document and open it in windows, it's zoomed out too much. You'll have to open it in the windows version and zoom to a normal level before sending out documents.

Edit: Buy both the mac version and windows version.

3. Glockron macrumors member

An alternative to Parallels

If it's minimal use - you might not even need parallels. Take a look at this:

https://www.mupromo.com/deal/13034/crossover

Supports MS Office 2011

It essentially runs Windows software directly in OSX, without the need for a VM