Carrier Question re. Verizon iPad 3 on AT&T Network (current status)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JulesK, Nov 5, 2013.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of upgrading to an iPad Air (AT&T), and giving my iPad 3 (Verizon) to my parents. I've read a number of old threads from when the iPad 3 first came out about the fact that a Verizon iPad 3 will work on AT&T's network using an AT&T sim (presumably, "4G"/non-LTE), and I'd love to add my parents to my AT&T mobile share plan or just have them buy the 1GB/3-month plans from AT&T (assuming it would work with a Verizon iPad 3 with an AT&T sim). They don't need LTE speeds; they barely need cellular connectivity, but it would be nice.

Can anyone confirm whether a Verizon iPad 3 can still be used on AT&T's network? Does anyone use one on the new 1GB/3-month plan?

Many thanks for your help!

2. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

I cannot confirm this. If you are already with ATT, have you tried just putting your phone sim in the iPad & seeing what happens?

3. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

My wife used the 3 prior to me buying the air and giving her my 4. I'm a lucky husband considering that she isn't that concerned with the latest tech. Though she was adamant about the retina screen being better for online shopping.

Nonetheless - her work provides her with an AT&T iPhone and an AT&T SIM card attached to their share plan for the ipad. In fact, you can put an AT&T SIM card into an ipad 3 or 4 and it will work on the AT&T network with their 3G and "4G" HSPA+ speeds. No LTE but it does work. With the iPad air, it will get LTE but to answer the question - for your parents, if you put an AT&T sim into a Verizon iPad 3, you will have service and data but your max speed will be whatever their HSPA+ is in your area.

I can't think of any reason why the 1GB for 3 months plan wouldn't work in the same manner.

4. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502