question re:virus on the virtual window

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by floppitydoppity, Sep 21, 2008.

1. floppitydoppity macrumors newbie

hi, can i just ask, if i was to succumb to a virus or malware on windows using vmware fusion. while working out how to get rid of it, is the virus contained to the virtual or can it spread to the whole imac?
    having been a windows user for years, i am slightly panicky about virus's. i know how hard it is to get rid of them!!!

2. Riverside macrumors member

Riverside

The vast majority of viruses are written for Windows systems, and will not affect a Mac system. The popularity of Windows viruses is directly related to the popularity of Windows. Viral hackers are out to do as much damage as possible, and Windows popularity is the very reason most of them are written for Windows.

Just make sure you have a good anti-virus software installed on your Windows installation, and keep it updated. Do the same on your Mac installation and you should be fine.

3. floppitydoppity thread starter macrumors newbie

thamks.
    can you recommend a free anti virus for the mac.?
    and would you scan daily or just to check on downloads.

4. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I wouldn't bother with virus protection for your OS X side. I'm sure in the past there have been viruses out for OS X, but at this moment, there are zero active viruses for the Mac OS X system. Period.

If you do, still, insist on virus protection, take a look at iAntivirus (http://www.iantivirus.com/) [free].

However, NOD32 is a good antivirus for your Windows side. :)

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

AVG free on the Windows side is a great free anti-virus program. Google it. I know many on this site and many of my PC friends use it. I have had it for 2 years and no problems at all.

BTW I don't use virus protection on my OS X side. No need to.

6. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Just as more reassurance, I've been using macs for more than 10 years and have never put AV on any of them and I''m sure I would have noticed if I had ever gotten a virus. ;)

7. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    What happens if a virus/spyware/whatever-ware attacks your VM and you have shared folders set up with OS X?