Question re: volume drive on desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by raf66, Jan 24, 2009.

1. raf66 macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I've got a question for the group and I thought I better ask much smarter people than me before trying to modify it.

On the volume drive icon on my desktop (new iMac 20" 2.66 ghz) there was never a name below the icon until late last night, when some weird name appeared below the icon: >,

Is this normal, i.e. is this the name or extension of the volume drive?

If not, can I delete (or rename) it without compromising or damaging the volume drive itself?

Finally, does anyone have any idea how I could've actually added this extension without knowing it?

Thanks for your help from a Mac newb and a Mac lover.

2. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

Did you accidentally rename the drive? It can happen a lot when you have lazy hands (like mine).

Maybe post a screenshot of it. Just in case, to capture a screenshot, go Applications > Utilities > Grab :)

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Or CTRL + SHIFT + 3

4. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

Ah, whaddya know? I'm a newb too ;)

5. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, thanks for the replies. Here is a screen capture of my desktop. It's my first screen capture post so I hope it turns out. By the way, CTRL + SHIFT + 3 didn't work for me. I've got sooooo much to learn.

Here goes:

Attached Files:

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's because it's supposed to be command+shift+3. :rolleyes:

You should just be able to rename the drive. Select it, hit return, and name it whatever you want. Why the name got screwed up is beyond me, but it should at least be an easy fix.

7. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys. I "think" I figured it out. When I go to Get Info on the volume icon there's a section called Names and Extensions. I clicked the lock button at the bottom to unlock it and deleted the >, name and it removed it from under the icon on the desktop. Below is a screen shot. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Normally the drive would be given some name. It defaults to "Macintosh HD". Mine is called Bastille.

9. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

Well as an update to the saga, after removing the name I ran the disk utility from the utility application just to make sure I didn't brick the Mac with my experimenting. The disk permissions scan showed a bunch of things that required the permissions to be repaired (I hope not as a result of my deleting the phantom name to my volume drive). The disk scan itself showed that everything was fine. I wonder how the permissions could've gotten messed up in the 3 weeks since purchasing my iMac.

As a side note, does the disk utility app built in to my iMac do the same thing as Onyx? Maybe no need to have a duplicate utility scan app.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your assistance. I'm sure I'll have more questions.