Question re: wifi for first time iPhone owner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhatboyNYC, Oct 20, 2011.

1. PhatboyNYC macrumors newbie

I recently picked up an iphone for my wife (1st iphone) and had a question regarding the wifi. At home, I turn the wifi on since the internet service is much faster than the abysmal speeds I've been getting on Sprint's 3g network.

My question is, do I have to turn the wifi off when leaving the house or will it just shut off automatically and revert to the 3g network? My concern is that if I don't turn the wifi off, it'll continuously search for a wifi signal when outside the house, presumably draining the battery.

To the long-time iphone users: Do you toggle the wifi on and off when leaving the house? If you just leave it on all the time, do you notice a quicker battery drain? Thanks in advance.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I personally do not turn Wi-Fi off when leaving the house however I have not tested whether or not doing so would save me any battery life.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You can leave it on, just be sure to turn off "Ask to Join Networks" as that's what really kills the battery, plus, you probably don't want to have random networks that you're connecting to.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

This.

I leave wifi on and Ask to Join off. When at a location with wifi I want to use, I'll join that network via Settings->Wifi->Choose a Network and the phone remembers it for next time.

I've done it this way since 3GS days and haven't seen any noticeable battery rundown. YMMV.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Agreed. I'm sure having it on "affects" battery life but I charge up every night anyway and I can't remember the last time I saw battery below 40%.

6. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I always leave Wi-Fi on and do have the option "Ask to Join Networks" set to off.

7. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

I leave it on, can help with finding your location quicker than just using cell towers and AGPS.

Only time I switch it off is if I'm away from a charger all day. If I'm out for 12 hours the battery will be at 20% charge, or fully flat if wi-fi and some other services like push is on. YMMV depending on how much you use your phone of course. It's rare for me to have a phone with enough charge to last a day, so the odd few percent is critical for me.

8. PhatboyNYC thread starter macrumors newbie

So I take it you leave your location finder on as well? Judging by your post, doesn't it drain your battery much quicker than if you turned location finder and/or wifi off?