Question re: wifi on phones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by raptor96, Jun 21, 2007.

1. raptor96 macrumors regular

Hello all,

I'm currently looking to buy a new phone and I want one that's wifi capable. I love SEs but I'm looking at Nokia b/c a) SE has no phones like that and b) Nokias are now mac-syncable. Basically, what I'd like to know is how do I find phones that can browse the web when within a wifi hotspot (like how the HTC Wing and Dash can) versus phones that simply have wifi for the ability to make UMS calls. I will give an example to clarify - from what I understand the Nokia 6086 can make calls a la skype but cannot browse using it's wifi connection. What I want to know is can phones like the N80, N95, E60, E65 etc. browse and DL my e-mail etc. or are they solely wifi capable for calls.

Lastly, if you guys have any other suggestions of phones to look at, what I want in a phone is simply the ability to walk into wi-fi areas (i.e. my college campus which is blanketed in wireless access points) and have my e-mail continuously updated. I'd also like a cool phone which is why I'm looking at the N80 and such. Any suggestions that aren't huge would be appreciated (I like the Wing cuz it's thin but given the choice I'd pick the N80 over it). Thanks!

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. raptor96 thread starter macrumors regular

(-: Recent college graduate, not enamored of the iPhone and stuck with T-Mobile.

What are - reasons I can't get an iphone!

No in all seriousness I really don't have $600 to spend on the iPhone...once I figure out this question I will probably buy a used e61i on ebay...le sigh. But other suggestions would be appreciated.