Question regarding 2 iPad. same account

Discussion in 'iPad' started by peled, Apr 29, 2011.

1. peled macrumors member

peled

Just tell me if I am wrong.

I have an "old" ipad with an account full of applications.
    Now I am getting a 2nd one for my aunt.

I am going to set it up with the same account.
    Point is I want it to have much fewer applications. So that in the future I could sync it with less App's
    So..
    • 1 step I am going to Sync (Only App) the new iPAD on the 1st full account.
    • The new iPAD will be loaded with all my App.
    • Then I'll clean the new iPAD from all the App I don't need.
    • I'll Create a new (2nd) Library on my iTunes account.
    • 2nd Library is fresh & empty.
    • Now I'll Sync my new iPAD to the iTunes (with the 2nd Lib)
    • The 2nd Library on iTunes will be filled with the remaining app from New iPAD.
    From now on every App I get from the store, on my 2nd iPAD I'll sync only with 2nd Library

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

First I'm not sure if sharing aps with your aunt is allowed as per license ... Second your iPad need to get always synced with your iTunes; she won't be able to use her PC ( if she has)

Beside that you could use one library and define foe each device what application and music should be synced. I have that also with a number of devices where not all apps are needed everywhere.

3. peled thread starter macrumors member

peled

As long as you have the same account on multiple iPAD and iTunes, you can share the same applications.
    So you may buy one application and share it with all your family's iPads.

Regarding another PC I can login with the same account as the 1st one.
    If you have hundreds of applications, you don't want to start marking or unmarking every time you swap an iPad.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No need to be marking and unmarking apps. First of all, the only time you have to think about it is when you get new apps, so it shouldn't be a bother unless you download 10 new apps every day or something. Secondly, you just uncheck "Automatically sync new apps" (it's on the apps tab, under the box where you mark/unmark which apps you want synced to the device), and any new apps you download on one device don't get synced to the other device.

5. peled thread starter macrumors member

peled

But that means that every time I want to sync to my original iPad I'll need to put the mark back.

My original Question was in order to understand the way iTunes works. Could't get any clarification. And believe me I google the net for an answer - Nothing.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, the mark is set for each device. So you turn it on for your iPad, and off for your Aunt's iPad, and you never have to think about it again.

7. peled thread starter macrumors member

peled

This seems to be a good answer.
    Now I understand that I need to follow these steps.

• Connect 2nd iPAD (which in has only the basic Apple App's) to iTunes.
    • Move the courser in iTunes to the Device / App screen it will show all the applications marked.
    • I should un mark what ever I don't need
    • Perform a Sync.
      • disconnect 2nd iPAD
    • turn off iTunes ( or maybe there is no need for that)
    • Open iTunes again
    • Connect my 1st iPAD
    • Move the courser in iTunes to the Device / App screen
    • Will see all the applications Marked.
    • Disconnect 1st iPAD
    • Connect 2nd iPAD
    Will see only few Applications marked

From now on I need to watch any new application that was add for 1st iPAD
    and not needed on the 2nd one, to un mark it upon connecting the 2nd iPAD

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

• log into 2nd iPad with the same ID and password as 1st one. -Don't need that.
    • Connect 2nd iPAD (which in has only the basic Apple App's) to iTunes.
    • Move the courser in iTunes to the Device / App screen it will show all the applications marked.
    • I should un mark what ever I don't need -You forgot "uncheck 'automatically sync new apps'"
    • Perform a Sync.
    • disconnect 2nd iPAD
    • turn off iTunes ( or maybe there is no need for that) -No need
    • Connect my 1st iPAD
    • Move the courser in iTunes to the Device / App screen
    • Will see all the applications Marked.
    • Disconnect 1st iPAD
    • Connect 2nd iPAD
      Will see only few Applications marked
    From now on I need to watch any new application that was add for 1st iPAD and not needed on the 2nd one, to un mark it upon connecting the 2nd iPAD

No, you don't need to do this if you uncheck "Automatically sync new apps" on the second iPad.

9. peled thread starter macrumors member

peled

Thanks I Got it.
    Once I connect my 2nd iPad with the Automatic Sync Un Markd, I'll still be able to add some marks for some App's I do need to sync.

I didn't understand your remark (As Quoted above) that the 2nd iPad ID/Password is not important.
    Does it mean I can grab any iPAD. Connect it to my iTunes and transfer applications to it ?
    I assumed ( acording to Apple policy) that you may share applications ONLY as long as you are using the same account.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You are correct that apps are tied to an iTunes account. But when you sync an iPad to a computer, that iPad is automatically signed in to the same iTunes account as the computer. If you then take that iPad and try to sync it with another computer, it will delete all the apps that are already on the iPad (it does give you a chance to cancel sync before deleting), and replace them with apps from the second computer. The iPad will also now be signed in to the iTunes account from the second computer.

So yes, you can grab any iPad and sync it to your computer, but doing that makes it "your" iPad -- you can't share apps with your friends that way.

11. peled thread starter macrumors member

peled

Thank for the enlightening answer.

By the way I did create 3 different accounts. One of them are for the USA store, and the second one for the German Store. (With the Coupon work around)
    Reason is that some applications you can't get from your local country store.
    So when ever I need a program that is only at the US store , I change my iTunes Account to the USA account and install the application.
    At the moment in all 3 accounts I have all applications marked.
    I had some mysteries behavior after installing applications from another country and changing to my local store account, that can be explained by your explanation.
    I learned to download install and Sync while (on say) the US store.
    Move back to the local store account, and Re-Sync it. That way the application stays, and does not disappear (As you pointed out).

Thanks to you again, I am sure that the thread can help others facing similar situations.

Just another clarifying question here:

If you still have some patience for me I would like to raise another hypothetical question.

It has to do with the fact that when ever I am getting a new application on my iPad, upon syncing the iTunes is transferring the new application from the iPad to the iTunes. Thus enlarging the number of applications on my iTunes.

Now suppose I am getting someones iPad which has 10 Applications I don't have on my iTunes.
    I connect that new iPad to my iTunes, without changing the ID on the iPAD.
    According to what you are saying it should transfer all my iTunes applications to the iPAD in one way, and in the other way it should add those 10 new applications to my iTunes.
    That doesn't make much sense does it ?
    It means I can duplicate iPAD after iPAD, and at the same time enlarge the number of applications on the iTunes.

I am certain that an application that was downloaded from the store is tied up to the account number. and the account number is part of the iPad or the iTunes. So before I make the physical Sync, I assume that you have to make the logical-account sync manually, so that the iPAD and iTunes will be one and te same.

12. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Just be careful that your Aunt doesn't get addicted to one of those item-shop games with in-app purchases. You might get a surprising bill from iTunes. :eek:

13. peled thread starter macrumors member

peled

Don't you worry. She is 89 years young.
    No games. Just Magazines and News paper. ( Like Bild HD)

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, that's not what I said. If you do that, iTunes will delete the ten apps on the iPad without adding them to the computer. That is, unless the iPad is using one of the iTunes accounts authorized on your computer. So in your case, if you had an iPad that had been signed on to one of your three iTunes accounts, and had apps that were bought with that account, those will be added to your computer, and not be deleted from the iPad. But if I gave you my iPad, which has apps I bought with my iTunes account, and you sync it with your computer, all my apps will be deleted, they won't be copied to your computer, and my iPad will only have your apps on it.

15. peled thread starter macrumors member

peled

Thank You every thing is 100% clear now.

So Now as soon as my son will get his iPad-2 and create his own account with Apple. I'll set My iTunes to authorized his iPAD as well (using his ID/Password)
    He will do the same on his PC's iTunes (Using all my 3 Accounts).
    And from now on we will be able to share ( in a controlled way, by not marking the automatic SYNC) all our purchased application.
    I now that you may authorized up to 5 Computers for a certain iPAD.

Bottom line.
    • You have 5 iPads in your family.
    • Each one with a different account.
    • You have 5 Computers running iTunes (Mix of PC and MAC)
    • You open and autorized all 5 Computers with the 5 iPads ID/Password)
    • Each Family member buys a single (different) application with his assigned credit card.
    • You may copy/sync all the iPADS to get that application Free ( acording to
      the above Discussions/ Instructions) . No need to re-Purchase. Every iPAD will have 5 applications with the price of one
    ;)

16. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Yup, you can mix Apps bought by different iTunes accounts on the same iPad.

For example: say you have, "Feisty Birds" on iTunes Account A, and "FlipBored News" on iTunes Account B.

If there is an update for Feisty Birds, you need to go to a computer and login to iTunes Account "A" to update it.

You can also update it directly from the iPad using the "App Store" app. The App Store app will prompt you for the password for account "A" to update Feisty Birds.

If there is an update for FlipBored, it will give you a message saying you can't update it. Just tap update a second time and you can put in the password for iTunes Account "B" to update all of the out of date apps on that account.

It sounds a bit confusing, but it's really not.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can do it like that if you want, but there's no need for each iPad to have a separate iTunes account. I share an iTunes account with my partner, and between the two of us, we have 2 iPads, an iPhone and an iPod touch -- all on a single iTunes account.

Like Don Kosak said, every time an update is released for an app on a different iTunes account, you have to enter the password for that account. It's not so difficult with just two or three accounts, but the more accounts you have, the more passwords you have to remember, and the more frequently you have to enter passwords.

So in your example, if everybody bought one app with a separate iTunes account, and all five apps were updated at the same time, you'd have to enter passwords five times to download all updates. But if all apps had been bought with the same iTunes account, then you could download all updates by just entering your password once.

So unless you have a good reason for it, like you want to buy apps only available in another country, it's generally a better idea to keep the number of iTunes account to the least number possible.

Also, it's not five computers per iPad. In fact, an iPad can only be synced to one computer at a time. It's five computers to one *iTunes account*.

18. windmill83 macrumors member

What happens when you get a new computer and sync your iPad with it? If you sign into you iTunes account will it still erase the apps on your iPad?

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

First, remember to authorize your computer with your account as well as sign in to it.

Second, apps will transfer from the iPad to the new computer, but your music, videos, and other media won't. To assure you don't lose anything, follow this guide:
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

20. peled thread starter macrumors member

peled

Thanks - Here is another One

The 5 Computers mentioned here are just for clarifying things.
    Here is another one, with the above case we do have 5 computers in verious locations ( 1 in NY, another one in Tampa Fl... so on .
    I would assume that all 5 iPads will be able to update each time there is a new update (I am getting a message regarding a new update) .

The one in Tampa Fl. bought 5 new applications.
    The iTunes directory named "Media Applications" now has 5 New files with the extension .ipa.
    I am sending these files from the Florida PC to the one in NY, and copy them to the same directory there.
    Upon connecting my iPAD in NY, would it Sync/Copy all 5 new applications ?
    Or do I need to buy them - and since it is the same account it will be free this time ( I am using the same account/password)

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Basically yes, except I recommend putting the ipa files into the directory called "Automatically add to iTunes" in the "iTunes Media" directory.

If you add them to the "Mobile Applications" directory, iTunes doesn't find them automatically, you have to drag and drop them into iTunes.

22. peled thread starter macrumors member

peled

As long as you log in with your proper account as defined in the iPAD , Ut should behave the same way as if you downloaded 10 new applications on your iPad while being away from your PC.
    As soon as you connect the iPad to the iTunes (same account) , you will be prompt that iTunes discover 50 new applications on the iPad, and needs to transfer ( Copy) them to the iTunes.
    Providing that it is defined to Sync.

23. peled thread starter macrumors member

peled

Thanks for pointing that out.

By the way discussing all that subject with people at work ( I mean the multi-Accounts) , I was told to watch out after upgrading to a new iPad version.
    It will leave only the applications associated with the current account while upgrading.

24. Night Spring, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think that should happen. Were their computers authorized with all their accounts?

In any case, if you've been doing this properly, all apps should be on the computer, and you should be able to sync them back.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you don't need to be logged in. Your computer just has to be authorized with that account.

Example. I have two iTunes accounts I use, mine and my mom's. My computer is authorized with both accounts, but I'm usually logged in to my own account. Say I log in to my mom's account on my iPad to buy an app. Then I come back to my computer, which is logged in to my account, and sync. I believe the app will transfer from my iPad to my computer, without me having to log the computer out of my account and sign in to my mom's. I'm not 100% certain as I don't do this very often, but last time I did it, I don't remember having to fiddle with which account my computer is logged in to.

25. windmill83 macrumors member