Question regarding Adaptors

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mrlozza, Jan 7, 2012.

1. mrlozza macrumors newbie

Hello all,

New to the forums and also quite new to photography. I've always been intrested in doing photography so I brought an iPhone 4S (sounds stupid I know) however I've got some amazing shots with this nifty little phone, some of the apps for it to edit are also good!

However, I brought a Sony NEX-C3 the day after christmas and paying about with it and all.. I want to buy some more lenses however as you all know there expensive so searching on ebay and I came across these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-Canon-FD-FL-Lens-Sony-E-mount-Adapter-fit-NEX-3-NEX-5-5C-NEX-VG10-DC79-/270876513642?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item3f117f956a

And just wondering whether these actually work and if they do work, does it/would it change the quality of the photo?

Hope to hear from one of you soon,

Kind Regards
    Lozza

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Read the notes at the bottom of your link. This will fit a Canon lens but it will be fully manual. Auto focus, automatic aperture setting and anything else set in the lens by the camera won't work. You have to set everything by hand.

That set aside, shoot with what you have before making any more purchases.

Dale

3. tmagman macrumors 6502

like the previous poster said, use what you have for now and learn with that.

As to the actual adapter- as long as their isn't a glass element like some adapters, the IQ should not change pending you're using good lenses period.

4. ravendhi macrumors member

ravendhi

I had that exact camera, and thinking I was ready for an "upgrade" I purchased an adapter so I could use canon lenses, but I became really disenchanted really quickly... Not with having to do everything by hand, but it just became really awkward having a small camera like that with big, "full size" lenses, so to speak.

It just always felt so unbalanced in my hands that I ditched the lenses/adapter and just used the 18-55mm kit and made do without any other lenses...

5. BillMidwest macrumors newbie

Adaptors do work and there are several brands available for different lenses. The adaptor simply allows you to use other lenses with the NEX. Sony was good enough to release the spec's for the E-mount used on the NEX and that has created a resurgence of interest in legacy lenses used for film that otherwise would be collecting dust. Canon lenses are particularly popular with the NEX because Canon changed their mount making most Canon film lenses unusable with Canon digital cameras.

Do some research before buying; the Canon FD lenses are reasonably priced, around $100. or less, sometimes much less. The ad you linked-to is only for the adaptor, not the lens. Most adaptors are in the range of $20-$30.

Check-out the Sony NEX Forum on DPReview for samples of lenses others have purchased:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1042

You chose an excellent camera, enjoy it!