Question Regarding Airplay and Airport and Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ABR173rd, Jul 19, 2013.

1. ABR173rd macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I currently have a Mac Air and the Apple TV I stream movies and shows over my current wireless setup using Airplay from my Mac to my Apple TV.

I want to improve picture quality when streaming from my Mac to my Apple TV and I was wondering what is the difference between the Airport Extreme and the Express? The new ones are both dual band and range is not really an issue just looking to maximize the picture quality when using Airplay.

My biggest concern is that the Extreme does not have Airplay- so does that mean that I would not be able to stream from my Mac to my Apple TV if I purchased the Extreme?

I am currently using Verizon FIOS and I have their Actiontec Modem/Router so I would need to connect the Extreme/Express into it.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There isn't really much of a difference. Your picture quality is likely from the source or the output of the Apple TV. You may simply wish to try outputting 1080p content to the Apple TV and see if the quality changes. It also may be related to the TV or the HDMI cable being used.

TEG

3. ABR173rd thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi TEG,

I mis-spoke, its not the picture quality is the streaming quality like occasionally I the picture will freeze and pic back up. Its a signal issue.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In that case, Wireless N would greatly improve your picture. The Airport Express and Extreme are basically the same, aside from what can be connected. It sounds like you might be having overall network issues.