Question regarding AT&T family plan activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stw85, Oct 10, 2011.

1. stw85 macrumors member

My fiance and I are going to be under a family plan with the new iPhone 4S. He is transferring his number from T-Mobile and I will be receiving a new cell phone number. His contract doesn't end with T-Mobile until 10/26/11 so he won't transfer his number until then. Is there a way that I can activate my phone under the family plan I selected and when 10/26 comes activate his or do I have to activate both phones at the same time?

2. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

First question: Did he request a port of his number during his pre-order?

He could always activate using a new AT&T number and then port he T-Moble on 10/26/11. You have 30 days to request a port without an additional porting fee.

No, you don't have to activate both iPhone 4S units at the same time. The contracts will have already started and so you can activate the phones at different times.

Here is a handy link with detail on Number porting
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/transfer-your-number/index.jsp

Dave

3. stw85 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your response. Yes he did request a port of his number during pre-order. Should he contact AT&T's port activation center and cancel the request and receive a new number, then re-request it on 10/26?