Question regarding AT&T Unlimited Data

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kauai, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I posted this elsewhere but no one has been able to answer it.

My Dad has an original iPad with unlimited data. Since he doesn't use the 3G all that often he offered it to me.

So, here are my questions.

1. Will I still be able to turn the Data plan on and off when I need it, or will I have to pay month-to-month to keep it from lapsing? i've heard people mention the 'lapsing' but don't quite understand it.

2. Can I change the payment info without it lapsing?

3. Will this work with LTE or only HSPA+ / HSDPA?

And lastly, is all I need to do switch out the sim cards?

Thank you!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

3. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

If you turn off or change a grandfathered "unlimited" plan, you can not get it back.

4. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, that's what I thought. Though it may be worth it for unlimited data.
    I'm pretty sure you can change the CC information though? Otherwise, how do they sell them on eBay?

5. GunsUp macrumors member

I had it on my 1st ipad, sold it about 9 months later, waited about a year got my ipad 2 white at&t and called and was nice and i got it back after over a year of not using it. it was cancelled and they got it back on for me. So don't be afraid to just call and ask for it back.

6. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

1. No. Has to stay active.
    2. Yes.
    3. With LTE.
    Lastly, yes.

7. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome! Here's to hoping AT&T sticks with their promise not to throttle, too. (For however long, oh well.)

Thanks!

8. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Rehash what other said and got right and wrong:
    1) No, has to never lapse.
    2) Yes, but at the end of the new month it will fail the auto renew and you MUST enter it in again.
    3) Supposedly all of those, we will know more when we do it.
    4) No, the sim in the new model is an LTE microSIM, you will need to do it via website or calling specifically AT&T iPad dept. See the thread and my link for details.
    I recommend you change the email on the account to one you can monitor on your iPad for successful renewal.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1335484&highlight=unlimited+ipad&page=3