Question Regarding Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by delaSEOUL, Feb 26, 2009.

1. delaSEOUL macrumors newbie

Before anything, I'd like to apologize if this thread doesn't belong in this section. I also apologize if this is a repost, as I've attempted to search but didn't succeed in finding the right thread with the answer that I was looking for.

Anyway, the iMacs in my school all have the capability of booting either Windows or Mac OS X at start-up at the preference of the user. A boot up screen shows up right after the computer turns on or restarts, allowing the user to choose his/her operating system preference, without having to press the option button. If the user doesn't choose the OS in a specified time limit, the iMacs just boot up with their default operating systems (whether they may be set to Windows or OS X).

I was wondering if there was a setting for Boot Camp where I would be able to run a same setup as the iMacs in my school.

Thanks all in advance,
    Steve

2. petemwah macrumors regular

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If it doesn't wind up being that, you might want to take a look at this page detailing a similar program (with a pic of the screen it presents) called BootPicker. Clicking the link to it on that page actually takes you to an Apple page where you can download a much newer version (2.1.2) of it than the v1.3 that is in the article headline.

Since this one is offered by the Apple Education/IT Professionals site I have a feeling this might be the one you have seen.

4. delaSEOUL thread starter macrumors newbie

I just took a look at a screenshot of rEFIT, and it doesn't seem to look like the one that the iMacs in my school uses.
    I'll give this a shot until I figure out what the school uses.

Thanks for your help, petemwah!

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well don't forget to check the screenshot of BootPicker that I mentioned too- that is probably it.

6. delaSEOUL thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a feeling the one you mentioned is the one. I just set it up, so I'll let you know once I get it to work.

Thank you, sickmacdoc, for your find!

7. delaSEOUL thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I just checked both rEFIT and BootPicker, and I don't think either one of those are what I'm looking for.

To add on to the original description, I forgot to mention that the booting program in the iMacs at school do not wait until the computer has loaded right before the log-in screen, unlike the two above. Rather, the booting interface is very similar to the manual boot screen (when users press option during start-up). Instead of showing the hard drive images for the OS X and Windows, it shows the Apple logo and a Windows logo, along with a timer.

I have a feeling that getting my computer to simulate the same booting program like the ones in my school's iMacs is more complicated than what I thought it was going to be.

8. delaSEOUL thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

I'm currently at my school's computer lab (I should've done this earlier), on the iMac.
    I just searched the computer for the application, and the booting software happens to be rEFIT.

Thank you, petemwah and sickmacdoc, for your help!

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

10. petemwah macrumors regular