Question regarding buying new iPod touch online...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ivan P, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I want to buy the 2nd gen iPod touch from the online Apple Store (yeah I know I said I was going to move away from the iPod touch, but the 2.1 update has made me appreciate it again)...however I noticed it says it can't be delivered to PO boxes. The problem is, I live 300km from the nearest Apple reseller and only have a PO box. Does this basically mean I can never buy from the online Apple Store, and therefore can't get any Apple products unless I undertake the task of taking a 7-hour round trip?

2. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Pretty much.

Does someone you know have a mailing address?

3. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yes, but that will just complicate things. The town I live in has nothing BUT post office boxes. I know other places in Australia have ones that you pay a fee for every year and get a key to it, but here it's basically a shelf on a wall with a few boxes where all the mail is sorted, with a lady that knows everyone that sorts it all and gives everyone their mail when they come in (it is a very small town, not even 30 people). It says on the Apple store that I can get someone I trust to sign it, and she's a family friend so it should be ok if I ask for her permission and put her (well, the post office's) address as the shipping address, right? The only person I know that has a proper mailing address is my sister, but she lives several hours away also.

4. archi17 macrumors regular

You could get it sent to your sister, and then ask her to send it on to you. Because apple wont sent it to a PO box, but your sister will be allowed to.

5. nick4597 macrumors newbie

Try calling Apple? Perhaps the PO Box restriction only applies to the US.

6. njguyfla macrumors member

Have it shipped to a friends house. Why do you only have a PO box?

Bill to/ship to, do they offer this?
    Or get a Mail Boxes Etc. type of box. They accept and sign for packages for you and put a slip in your box to pick it up.

7. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I live in a town of 38 people. It is ALL PO BOXES, and I get it delivered.

I just slap a number on my house, tell Apple the address with road and number, and when they ask if this is real because it isn't in their database I tell them to shut up and deliver it. FedEx/UPS were confused the first few times, asking people in various houses where I lived, but after the first couple times they never missed my house again.

There are places not on maps that can be delivered if there are road signs and numbers. This town, for example, never had government recognized streets but for 130 years they have labeled their own, locally. It works for delivery. And since the roads aren't lorded over by government our property taxes are about $250/yr for an acre with house and garage on it. Freedom is wonderful.

8. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Ok thanks.

I only have a PO box because that's ALL that's available here; in a town of 30 people there really isn't a point for someone to have to deliver it.

I should have mentioned I've had replacement iPods (two of them) sent directly to my PO box without any problems.

9. saulinpa macrumors 6502

As long as your credit card company doesn't complain about a different address you can cheat a bit. Change the box number to an apartment number. Instead of PO Box 1234 use 1 Main St. Apt. 1234. First talk to whomever handles your mail as they might have a different format that someone has used before.

10. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

I would call Apple and tell them the situation first.

If that doesn't work, I would talk to the lady at the Post Office.

Maybe she has a solution.

Otherwise, I would have it sent in your name, care of the Post Office.

That way it has a proper address, and your name.

I'd see what the lady there has to say about doing it that way.

Good Luck and please keep us posted on what ends up happening.;)

11. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Thank you for that, I really feel like a fool now because I forgot that's exactly how I've had other packages delivered :p

Thanks again.

12. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

You're very welcome Ivan.

I'm glad I could be of some help.

13. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Well it got shipped from Sydney (on the other side of the country) last night, and it's already in Perth (only a couple hours away). Hopefully I'll have it soon :)

14. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

That's great Ivan!

Looks like you'll have it very soon.:D

15. archi17 macrumors regular

Yes, they do deliver quick. Mine was in sydney last night at 9pm, and It was delivered to me at 9am this morning. I am very happy, I am typing this on it now! :D

16. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Final update guys!

So it's Saturday today, and when the iPod didn't arrive yesterday I accepted the fact I wouldn't have it until Monday...well apparently it was delivered, for some reason, during the night, and my mum came in with the box about half an hour ago.

Thanks for the help guys, especially kwk1! :D