question regarding buying/selling macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uptheforest, Aug 16, 2011.

1. uptheforest macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am selling my 2011 mbp and was wondering if there is a way to take my name/password off of the laptop but keep the programs installed?

i purchased final cut pro x and want the buyer to be able to have that program with the purchase, is this at all possible?

Thanks in advance!

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Make a new user account, then log into that account and delete your account.

3. uptheforest thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your reply

another quick question,

once i buy the new mac and use time machine from my backup will i have to reinstall the other programs on the new machine or will it pick up right where it left off?? (sorry new to macs and absolutely love them)

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

On the new Mac, use Migration Assistant to restore your old data to the new Mac. It installs programs too, so after it's done you will be right where you left off - internet browser history and all.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Applications like Final Cut Pro are licensed to the machine. It would be against the EULA to sell the MBP and then use time machine or some other method to copy FCP back to your new machine, plus it's unethical.

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u bought a brand new 2011 macbook and now u wan to sell it already?

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Maybe he wants to sell his 13" and buy a 15" ;) (or an Air)

8. uptheforest thread starter macrumors newbie

this guy knows whats up

and old wiz, i am not looking to use final cut on the new machine, just some of the other programs that i backed up with time machine

i was using final cut as an example/selling point for the buyer and didnt know if he would lose the program because i bought it through my itunes account

thanks everyone, appreciate the responses!