Question regarding connecting external HD?

oharag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Can the new Apple TV 4 stream media from a connected HD? Or does everything have to be streamed using another computer via iTunes?

Basically I have music/videos/content on a HD - how do I view this on Apple TV 4?

The Apple TV 4 does not have USB so I would say no. Is there anyway to get this content onto this system?

I do not have a laptop or computer.

CaptTCS

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
Bainbridge Island, WA
It has to be streamed using "Home Sharing" with another computer running iTunes.

What I did is got an inexpensive Mac Mini (Apple's most affordable computer). Mac Minis have HDMI out, so I use my TV as it's display and a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad as controllers. My 3tb external HDD is connected to that and entire iTunes library is on it. A side benefit: If I want to watch something that is streamed via web only, I can use Safari on the Mini.. And it plays on the big screen.

It's not exactly cheap, but probably around $500 less than other "Media Server" solutions.

Chapuys

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Apple TV 4 does have a USB-C connector, however this is for servicing only.

As the previous poster says, Apple allow you to stream (with media encoded correctly) via their 'Home Sharing' in iTunes on a computer. If you do not have a computer it will not work.

oharag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
It has to be streamed using "Home Sharing" with another computer running iTunes.

What I did is got an inexpensive Mac Mini (Apple's most affordable computer). Mac Minis have HDMI out, so I use my TV as it's display and a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad as controllers. My 3tb external HDD is connected to that and entire iTunes library is on it. A side benefit: If I want to watch something that is streamed via web only, I can use Safari on the Mini.. And it plays on the big screen.

It's not exactly cheap, but probably around $500 less than other "Media Server" solutions.

I was thinking the same thing. I LOVE the Mini option. Been trying to find something that is reasonably priced. This is the true HTC. Though I believe the new Apple TV with iAps/search/and the streaming options in some way trumps Mini solution.

I think the new Apple TV should have a browser option, and a means to attach external HDs.