Question regarding Contract Based/Unlocked iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouisLivesLife, Sep 16, 2011.

1. LouisLivesLife macrumors regular

LouisLivesLife

So, I'm planning to buy my first iPhone and I feel that I lack some knowledge on wether or not to buy a contract based or unlocked iPhone. Right now i'm still rocking a 20€ phone.

I live in Belgium and plan to use the phone for personal reasons (school,events, friends,etc.) not business because I am just 18.

I don't really know the difference between the two options. What do you recommend? Is one option more expensive then the other? could you explain the major differences to me?

Cheers. (iPhoneNewbie)

2. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

A locked phone is restricted to one network provider, an unlocked phone is not.

You can still have a contract on an unlocked phone, and you would still have to honour that contract if you switched providers on it.

Pay as you Go Sims can be placed in any unlocked phone and used.

----------

If you go contract, you can get the phone at a discounted rate (sometimes free), and a certain amount of calltime/texts/mobileweb included in the tariff. The phones provided are usually locked to the service provider, providing you the contract. Contracts usually run 12,18, or 24 months. You pay a monthly tarrif and if you go over your allotted minutes/texts/usage they charge.

If you don't go contract, then there is Pay as You Go.
    If you do not have an unlocked phone, you can go into a store get a phone you usually have to pay full price, (it could be locked to the service provider), you pay for the sim, and you also pay (maybe a little discounted) calltime/tests/mobileweb.

If you already have an unlocked phone, you can just buy the sim (usually around £5 (Im in the UK, so you do the conversion ;) ), and then you pay for what you use.

3. LouisLivesLife thread starter macrumors regular

LouisLivesLife

Cheers man, really helped me out!