Question regarding cpu upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Roman23, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I just finally received my Nehalem Quad-core 2.66(single) - was wondering if I were to buy a 3.33 processor(w3570), is this just a simple drop in place of the 2.66? I have a friend who is selling me the 3.33 processor for like 700 dollars - I was just wondering if anyone has ever replaced the stock processor 2.66 with the 2.93 or 3.33?

Thanks,

2. hyram macrumors regular

I think it should as the microcode is there for it. But since you're buy this from a "friend", would he/she let you try it first?

3. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Possibly

I have to call him to find out.. Now question: Should I get ahold of a dual processor tray, can't I just swap out the single tray for the dual? This is the upgrade path I tend to take for my existing Nehalem 2009 mac pro, as the 2010's will be way way out of my price range.

Plus, I use it as a PC and not pro apps.

4. Vylen macrumors 65816

While you can swap out single and dual processor trays on the Mac Pro, you can't use the processor from the single tray in a dual processor configuration - the processors used in the single processor Mac Pro's are designed for only single socket configurations.

5. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know this..but..

As I said, if I could get ahold from a friend a single 3.33 I should have no problem removing the 2.66 and replacing it with the 3.33? Also, if I should get a dual processor tray with say 2.26 processors on it, I likewise, should be able to remove the single tray and replace it with the dual tray? Of course I know this will void my warranty, but we are talking later on and not now.. 2.66 is plenty fast for my needs and it even beats my old 2008 3.0 mac pro.

QUOTE=Vylen;10177942]While you can swap out single and dual processor trays on the Mac Pro, you can't use the processor from the single tray in a dual processor configuration - the processors used in the single processor Mac Pro's are designed for only single socket configurations.[/QUOTE]

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

A couple of MR members have in fact successfully swapped out CPU's on both SP and DP daughterboards (Tutor and gugucom). There's a How-To thread, and it's worth taking a serious look at, as you can cause damage if you screw up (apparently learned the hard way).

Last I checked, there's even a seller on eBay that does this.