Question regarding downloads on a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kasttt, Jan 9, 2011.

1. kasttt macrumors newbie

This is probably a really dumb question and it is not about anything dire to the performance of the MBP. I am a first time mac owner of a 13 inch MBP, which i bought a little less than a month ago, so I am still learning how to use it.

My question is regarding software/programs one downloads from the internet (like skype and various messenger programs). I just downloaded skype and windows live messenger on my MBP but I noticed that icons for the software not only appeared on my dock, but also on my desktop (as if it were an ipod or some other type of external drive). I deleted the skype drive icon on my desktop, and the next time I tried to click on the skype icon on my dock, it told me that the program could not be found. Is it that when I download a program from the internet I have to keep it on my desktop?

BTW I know that I can select for the drive icon not to be shown on my desktop under preferences, but does that actually remove it from the desktop or does it just make it not viewable? I was wondering if there was another way to actually transfer it to a programs file or something like that?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Once you install a program, you should be able to eject the .dmg file from the desktop and delete it if you like.

3. Animalk macrumors 6502

I think you need to do a bit of reading on how installing applications on a mac works. It's often different than on Windows but don't be intimidated.

I highly recommend you check out the great FAQ and guides on macrumors.

Enjoy your new Mac :)

4. kasttt thread starter macrumors newbie

got it. didnt know i had to copy it to my preferences lol. I knew it was something simple that had to be done. Thanks ppl!