Question regarding error 3194

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by yipio, Nov 30, 2011.

1. yipio macrumors newbie

I'm trying to update my iPhone 4 4.3.5 to iOS 5 while preserving baseband. I'm following this one tutorial and users have been reported some success.

As my case I'm getting error 3194 and tried all the suggested fixes to no avail, its really persistent. However, there's this one fix I am a bit hesitant to try because I'm scared that it might upgrade my bb. A number of people suggested that I need to remove gs.apple.com from my system hosts file. Its a no can do because I have been bitten by this method before. I tried this once for some similar error I was encountering and it upgraded my bb! There's no way I'm gonna let it happen again!

Before I proceed with this method in trying to get rid of error 3194 I have to make sure that by removing apple's server from my hosts file will not upgrade my baseband.

So the million dollar question is --- If I remove apple's server from my hosts file will my bb be upgraded when restoring?

I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

the 3194 error you get is real because Apple has stopped signing OS5. So, even you modify your hosts file, you still can't upgrade to OS5.

3. yipio thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not sure what you mean by "real".

As of 30 seconds ago Apple is still signing iOS 5 beta 7, 5.0 and 5.0.1.