Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Is it possible to return a preordered 6 plus to Apple store? I had it shipped to me.

I'd like to exchange it for a regular 6. What would they do?exchange it then refund me the difference?

I think the regular 6 is quite abundant in stores right now? Showing available for pickup at multiple Apple stores for me.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
You can't. You can only exchange in store for the same model. You have to send it back and buy a new one in store

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
You can't. You can only exchange in store for the same model. You have to send it back and buy a new one in store

Thank you for the post. I'm seeing contradicting reports. Though I don't think I've seen someone post that they went to the store and were denied an exchange. To my knowledge, every person that tried has succeeded.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Thank you for the post. I'm seeing contradicting reports. Though I don't think I've seen someone post that they went to the store and were denied an exchange. To my knowledge, every person that tried has succeeded.
Yes that was what I said. Exchange is fine but not sure if they allow you to swap to another version. I guess the only way to know to to call your store

JuNxXxReY

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Is it possible to return a preordered 6 plus to Apple store? I had it shipped to me.

I'd like to exchange it for a regular 6. What would they do?exchange it then refund me the difference?

I think the regular 6 is quite abundant in stores right now? Showing available for pickup at multiple Apple stores for me.

I just went to my Apple store this morning. Didn't have to wait in line. Told them that I needed to do an exchange. Went from a Gold T-Mobile iPhone 6 to a Space Gray Verizon iPhone 6. No problems at all. Was in and out of the store in 5 mins.

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
I just went to my Apple store this morning. Didn't have to wait in line. Told them that I needed to do an exchange. Went from a Gold T-Mobile iPhone 6 to a Space Gray Verizon iPhone 6. No problems at all. Was in and out of the store in 5 mins.

Did you originally purchase the phone from Apple.com?

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

You are so lucky! was there a line? I went this morning to an apple store in Jacksonville, FL (on my way back to GA) and there was an awful line, I went and talked to the Apple guy standing outside and he said even if I was gonna do an exchange I had to wait in line! I mean I already have a phone grrrr I'm gonna try one more time on monday! I'll have to go to Atlanta, I'm trying to exchange my iPhone 6 16gb for a 64gb

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010

You can not EXCHANGE two different items.

You return one.

You buy the other.

HELLO?

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
You can not EXCHANGE two different items.

You return one.

You buy the other.

HELLO?

That is correct. However, people use the term "exchange" to make it clear they are not going to just return a product without buying a different product.

I'm not going to go to the Apple store and say "I want to return my phone"
I am going to say "I want to exchange my phone"

JuNxXxReY

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Did you originally purchase the phone from Apple.com?

Yes. Ordered from Apple.com and switched at Apple Store. There was a long line outside that wrapped around the building, and a short line for people who opted to pick up in store. This was at 9:50am and the Apple Store I went to started accepting customers that day at 9:30am and their normal opening time was 10am. I may have been helped quickly because it was early. Anyway, I returned my old one and bought the new one. Apple put my credit on a gift card. Purchased new iPhone using the gift card. Checked with manager and made sure if for some reason I wanted to return phone again that I would get cash back instead of a gift card. Manager said yes, they would give me cash back even if limit is $750 for cash; it was so close that they wouldn't need to send me a check. I would suggest keeping both return receipt and purchase receipt. Doubt I'll be returning my phone and wanting my money back, so it's not really a big deal to me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.