Question regarding getting around the iPhone Data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dualhcsniatpac, Jul 9, 2008.

1. dualhcsniatpac macrumors newbie

I was in an ATT store yesterday and the guy told me that the data plan is a requirement for the iPhone. I know what you guys are thinking, why would you buy the phone if you dont want data and so on. Please keep your responses to my original question as you will not change my mind.

Now for the original question. Is there a way to get around having the data plan? Has anyone tried this? I thought i saw somewhere after like a month you can call up ATT and tell them you dont want it. I was also thinking it might be possible to tell them you dropped the phone in a lake or something and you are using your old phone and dont need the data plan anymore. I dont think they would know what phone you are using right???

Ive been trying to think of different scenarios but I cant afford to try them and find out it wont work and then my gf is out a phone upgrade for 2 years.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

David

2. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

They do know what phone you're using. If I put my SIM in my LG Shine, it updates online almost immediately to show the other phone.

Data plans are required on all smartphones on AT&T. You can get a smartphone with only data and no voice, but you can't get a smartphone with only voice and no data.

3. Tattoo macrumors 6502

I was told that you don't need a data plan. It will save you $40.00 per month.

4. dualhcsniatpac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea it seems that this is either way who you talk to. My gf wouldnt browse the internet enough to use $30 worth. Grrrr this is soo stupid. Anyone else hear either way???

5. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i was told that you can drop the data plan from all other smartphones, but currently it's required for iphone 3g. it was possible to drop the data plan on the 1st gen iphone, but nobody knows what gonna happen for the 3g.

6. jdee2wheels macrumors member

Yes, I want to upgrade to the new iphone but won't if the data plan is required. I've been very tempted to add data to the old iphone at $20 a month, but for $35 (data plus text) there is absolutely no way I can justify that for just occasionally checking email and surfing the web on a phone. I don't pay that much for a decent DSL connection that I use for hours at a time each day.

Hopefully you can drop the data plan because both my wife and I would buy new iphones if that's the case.

7. dualhcsniatpac thread starter macrumors newbie

Word is over at ATT.com forums is that you can delete it after the 2 year agreement is up or buy unsubsidized. They were saying that is how they are making their money back on the cheaper price. NO DUH!!! ouch... may just look into buying her an old iPhone if they arent too expensive