Question regarding iFrames

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by VPrime, May 4, 2009.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Hey, I have a site I developed for some one.. This site uses an iFrame for all of the content.
    So when they click a link on the page the frame loads the data.

Now what I want to know is if its possible to link some one to the site but have the frame load up what I want.

Eg.
    I have my index.html with an iFrame that goes to default.html. One of the links int he navigation go to contact.html

Right now if I give some one the url to my site I give them www.example.com and it loads up the default.html.

What if I want them to go to the site but have the frame load up contact.html

Is it possible? Did any of this make sense?
    Thanks.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Took me a minute to wrap my brain around what you were asking, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to use server-side scripting so you can pass which frame content you want to the index page.

Something like:
    www.example.com/index.php?content=contact.html

Not pretty, but that's all I can think of.
    Anyone else?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

n additional way from the above is to use JavaScript. As the user navigates the site you can update the URL with a hash on the end e.g., #page1. It's not a great solution, but that's part of the problem with making the site inside an iframe. I'd work on getting it out of that if possible.