Question regarding iMac Mini-DVI out

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by BennyK, Sep 20, 2008.

1. BennyK macrumors 6502

I need to run about 30 feet of cable to get my iMac (core 2 duo, last year's model) that is in the basement to my TV up stairs. I want to do this primarily for watching videos and tv shows I have on imovie. (now that I have my iPod Touch I can remotely control itunes from upstairs) My question is what is the best way to do this? I have inputs for HDMI/DVI, A PC Input (connects to a D-sub cable?? I am not sure what that is), and an S-Video Input. Is a D-Sub the same as VGA?? What is the best way to do this and what ways should I avoid doing this?
    Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes.

The rest of it I'll leave for someone who knows what they're talking about: 30 feet is a reasonable distance and you'll probably have signal issues if you do the wrong thing.

3. BennyK thread starter macrumors 6502

Also for what it's worth, my TV is a Samsung HLT 5076S

4. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Just get a miniDVI to DVI adaptor from apple and a DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI 35' cable from monoprice.com

5. BennyK thread starter macrumors 6502

GREAT!!! thanks!!! one more question, Monoprice also sells a miniDVI to DVI adapter, should that work just as well as the one from apple?

And this cable should work correct?

6. BennyK thread starter macrumors 6502

ok sorry to be a pain,

Let me ask you this,

I can run 45 feet of HDMI for $36 of I can run 50 feet of VGA cable (with audio cable with it what I need to run anyways) for $21.

Is there much of a difference with quality or ease of use between the two?

(I'd purchase this adapter for my iMac also)

7. BennyK thread starter macrumors 6502

I am thinking I am going to go with the VGA 50 foot cord unless someone can let me know if there is an issue with this.

Thanks

8. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Yes there is a problem (i think), VGA is a analog signal so if you run to long of a cable, you will lose image quality.

Monoprice sells a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter which i think will be the best bet. then all you will need is a long HDMI cable (get it from monoprice because they are inexpensive).

9. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Do you have optical audio at your TV? You don't want to use VGA because it is not digital. Use HDMI. You can either get (all from monoprice) mini-DVI to DVI and then a long DVI to HDMI, or mini-DVI to HDMI and then a long HDMI to HDMI.

Then you run audio separately with an optical cable, whatever length you need. monoprice sells it as well. You will also need a mini-toslink adaptor.

This will give you full digital video and audio, which you will absolutely be able to tell the difference. Again, do not run VGA for your video because you will run into tons of problems with video quality and your computer not being able to recognize the resolution of your screen.

10. BennyK thread starter macrumors 6502

11. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Dvi > hdmi.. You'll still need a Toslink audio cable or 3.5mm analog audio cable to tv from the iMac .. Since DVI doesn't carry audio..

12. BennyK thread starter macrumors 6502

None of these options work, 50 feet is too far of a distance without a signal amp of some sort. Too much signal loss.