Question regarding iMesaage sync across devices!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sutherlandan, Mar 10, 2015.

1. sutherlandan macrumors newbie

So here's the deal!

Been texting someone some sensitive information via our iPhones with iMessage. All was well until they realized they had an older iPad at home, that if turned on (the battery is dead) is set up to sync iMessages from their phone.

Is there any way to erase iMessage history through the cloud or otherwise so if this iPad does get turned on it will have no data to sync with and not receive all of these recent messages? Is iCloud the means for syncing messages between devices? The iPad is not available at the present time to change any settings.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, been googling around for a while now and coming up dry.

Thanks a lot!

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

tldr: You're cheating on your wife????

I kid.

Deleting the messages on one device doesn't delete them on another (atleast it's not for me). iMessage is separate to iCloud.

The sensible thing would be to acquire said iPad & delete said messages while also disabling iMessage on it.

3. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

If you want a very secure message app and not tied to iMessage. Get Signal by Open Whisper Systems on App Store.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

Not sure whether this works, but you could try changing your Apple ID password. It might prevent your iPad from connecting again, before it can download the messages. Just go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and tap on your Apple ID.

Another option would be to lock down your iPad with Find My iPhone, if you had enabled that. This locks your iPad with a password of your choice, so it should give you the opportunity to disable iMessage.