Question regarding international order

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SomeSwede, Sep 23, 2009.

1. SomeSwede macrumors member

I have recently been trying to find a shop where I could buy a new ADB mouse to my beloved old PowerMac and I finally found one in the US called Welovemacs.com.

Has anyone any experience buying from them? Are they trustworthy?

The reason I am asking is because they sent me an email saying that they for security reason needed a "copy of the top portion of your credit card statement". I was a bit confused for a while exactly what a credit card statement is (guess my English could be a lot better) but after googling I figured they wanted a copy of a paper with a list of my resent transactions.
    And that was where the problems started since it is all done online here in Sweden, and I had never had a paper copy of what I payed for with my credit card. So I drove to the bank to see if they could help me and they said clearly that the whole procedure sounded fraudulent and that a company would have absolutely no reason to see for what and where I had used my credit card and that they recommended me not to send anything to them.

So right now I am a bit confused. Is it normal procedure to ask for a credit card statement when purchasing internationally? Can they be trusted?

If they are legit, what other method can i use to prove that i am the owner of the credit card i am using?

2. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

It's pretty common - most of the time vendors ask for a scan of the front and the back of the card which is used to process orders. In your case they are asking for the top of the statement - not your transactions. Basically they want to make sure the cc # matches your billing address.

They don't care where you spent your money and what you spent it on. Simply fold the statement so only your name, billing address, and card # is visible (you can block the first few numbers of the card with a marker if you want)

Ignore the 2nd poster - he's a spammer trying to spam his liposuction site.

3. SomeSwede thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your reply. I guess you are right that they only asked for the top part of the statement. It is just that i felt really doubtful after the bank clerk had said that it sounded like an attempt to get information from me that they would have no legit reason to know. But since i cant find anything that would indicate that they are dishonest, i went ahead and used PayPal to pay for my purchase (as i said in my last post, there would be no way for me to get a printed copy of a credit card statement since everything is done online, at least at my bank)