iPhone 11 Pro Question regarding iPhone Upgrade Program and Loan

grifftaur

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
I couldn't find anything when searching and figured i'd just ask.

I have an iPhone X that I got on the iPhone Upgrade Program back in December of 2017. I ended up not upgrading to the XS or XS Max and kept my X. I have 2 payments left on my loan for my X. I am planning to get the 11 Pro Max.

From researching i'll have to enroll again new for the iPhone Upgrade Program once I pay off my X. However, can I enroll now as a new customer of the iPhone Upgrade program now for pre approval? I would still need to pay off the X while I am paying for the 11 Pro Max correct (Which is fine. Just want to make sure I have this right)? Or am I not allowed to have a loan outstanding for my number/account and would have to pay off the X fully first in order to pre order the 11 Pro Max?

At this point it makes sense to make the last 2 payments for sure. I'm just curious to find out if i'm restricted from pre-order this Friday because I still have 2 payments left.

Planning to just trade the X in store and use the credit/gift card to get a series 5 watch. Have the series 0 still so it would be quite a jump.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
Yes you can enroll in a new upgrade program. I did this with my X last year. I started a new upgrade program to get a Xs Max and privately sold my X to a family member for the remaining balance instead of giving it back to Apple. The loan payments on my X just continued as normal.

grifftaur

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
Yes you can enroll in a new upgrade program. I did this with my X last year. I started a new upgrade program to get a Xs Max and privately sold my X to a family member for the remaining balance instead of giving it back to Apple. The loan payments on my X just continued as normal.
Awesome. I appreciate the response! :)

Reactions: i hate phones

Cosmo M3

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
There is no option to trade in the iPhone X in the IUP towards a new iPhone 11 at a discounted price?

grifftaur

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
There is no option to trade in the iPhone X in the IUP towards a new iPhone 11 at a discounted price?
From looking I didn't see it as an option. Whenever I checked to trade in a phone and then choosing my payment option I didn't see the iPhone Upgrade Program as an option. So it seems the only way to be part of the IUP is you have to give your device back and move to the next phone or re-enroll. In my case I chose to enroll new since I want the iPhone Upgrade Program. I'm either gonna trade in my X separately and use the money towards a a series 5 (Currently have the series 0) watch or give the X to my wife if she wants it.