Question regarding iPod Touch and new iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by preston181, Mar 7, 2012.

1. preston181 macrumors member

Okay, so I've got an iPod Touch 4th gen 32GB. I've preordered the new iPad 64GB wifi model.

My question is: how do I transfer my settings, app/game saves, etc? Will the iCloud do all of that? I know you can restore from a backup when going from iPad to iPad, but I'm simply adding an iPad, and will also continue to use the iPod Touch as well. Want to get up and running quickly and painlessly.

Sorry if I come off as ignorant, I've recently converted from the despised land of Windows, and have some catching up to do. This will be my first iPad.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can restore your iPad from a backup of your touch. This will copy all the settings on your touch to your iPad. Then rename your iPad to something different from your touch, and going forward you can manage them independently of each other.

Now, the backup can either be an iCloud backup or an iTunes backup. Restoring from an iCloud backup just takes longer because everything is downloaded over the Internet.

3. preston181 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, great. That's what I was hoping would be the case. One more question: once I've restored from the Touch to the iPad, and renamed the iPad, will the cloud keep my apps and game saves synchronized over the two devices?

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

No, iCloud won't synchronize game data because they are 2 separate devices. I wish it did but I think they may be planning on updating this in the next Game Center update.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Some apps, such as Apple's iWorks apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) keep data in sync across devices over iCloud. But this is strictly an app by app function, not a system-wide setting. Read an app's description, or write to the app devs to find out if a particular app offers iCloud syncing.

6. lovespicyfood macrumors member

Sorry to crash this thread, but I think my question is similar to the original posting...

I sold my Ipad2 last Monday in anticipation of the Ipad3. Right before I sold it, I did a complete backup on my desktop (iMac). Now I just realized that i need a recipe from Pages before I can get the Ipad3! :(

My daughter has an Ipod Touch. Could I backup her device and then restore my "old" Ipad to her Ipod Touch to get this Pages recipe? I also have an iPhone4s...could I do the same with it?!

I should have enabled iCloud for Pages so that the document would have been easily retrievable, but I did not do that...

TIA for your advice!
    Pete

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It should work, but even if it doesn't, the only cost would be the time you spend backing up and restoring your touch or iPhone.