Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
So I bought a 13" rMBP a few weeks ago. It has since gone on sale and I got reimbursed.

Basically I can still return it if I want and get the new model but for the same specs, 13" w/ 8GB RAM and 256GB hard drive, I'd have to pay $150 more.

From those who know all new new improvements am I better off with the late 2013 model and saving myself $150?

Sorry this has likely been asked a million times I would look and research myself but my last day to return it is tomorrow and I'm taking my kids to the movies tonight. lol

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The only difference appears to be a very small 200mhz speed bump that you will never ever notice.

The deciding factor here IMO would be how long do you plan to keep this machine and will you be selling it yourself? I would guess if you go to sell those two machines in two years, you would recoup your $150 easily on the 2014. If you plan to keep it a long time it may not make much difference for resale value.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Unless a 0.2ghz cpu bump is worth 200$ to you the 2013 rmbp is the preferable choice.

----------

The only difference appears to be a very small 200mhz speed bump that you will never ever notice.
we dont know what the OP does.
Maybe he is running calculations all day and the 0.2ghz is the best thing since sliced bread for him.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks for the speedy replies. I'll likely hang into it for 5 years minimum.

I figured there may have been other improvements aside from the minor processor bump. Had I gone with the base model I would definitely do it as it has 8GB RAM now I think for the base model.

There is no other hardware changes really? What about Thunderbolt 2? Chances are I'll end up using a USB 3.0 external drive but worth asking I guess. lol

Oh and as far as use I mostly use it for browsing the web, photo editing with Photoshop and Lightroom, some minor gaming like Minecraft, possibly some light video editing in the near future. Lastly I may pick up a Wacom tablet to do some art.

Nothing crazy intense that's for sure.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the speedy replies. I'll likely hang into it for 5 years minimum.

I figured there may have been other improvements aside from the minor processor bump. Had I gone with the base model I would definitely do it as it has 8GB RAM now I think for the base model.

There is no other hardware changes really? What about Thunderbolt 2? Chances are I'll end up using a USB 3.0 external drive but worth asking I guess. lol

Oh and as far as use I mostly use it for browsing the web, photo editing with Photoshop and Lightroom, some minor gaming like Minecraft, possibly some light video editing in the near future. Lastly I may pick up a Wacom tablet to do some art.

Nothing crazy intense that's for sure.

Nope... no other changes. All the TB ports and everything are the same. Like I said, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Wonderful, greatly appreciate the info. Why would they even refresh with such a tiny improvement. lol

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Buying time. Minimize any rMBP questions at the fall event that launches IOS8 and Yosemite.....plus other new products.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Buying time. Minimize any rMBP questions at the fall event that launches IOS8 and Yosemite.....plus other new products.

Yeah I guess it makes sense. I figured they'd be better off holding off completely until next year.

Oh well I'm pleased with my MacBook and that's all that matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.