Question regarding missing contacts & Photo Stream pics after iPhone 5->5s upgrade

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Tribefan, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Tribefan macrumors member

Can someone offer some insight to an issue my cousin is having after upgrading from an iPhone 5 to a 5s yesterday?

After doing his upgrade, he lost a handful of his contacts and out of his 400+ photos in Photo Stream, only 40 or so are showing up. He did do an iCloud backup before going to the store, and he had all the right settings activated on the iCloud section of "Settings". I'm pretty knowledgable about iOS and Apple products, but I can't figure out why this has happened. If all the settings are enabled and the backup was done before hand, shouldn't EVERYTHING have transferred over for him?

2. Bear macrumors G3

The lost contacts does sound odd. As for Photostream, that's not a backup. If it wasn't on his camera roll or his camera roll is not set to be backed up to iCloud there's no guarantee what pictures he'd get back from his Photostream.

3. Tribefan thread starter macrumors member

I thought Photo Stream backed up your camera roll. :confused: Hmmm...

Either way, he had/has "Photos" turned on on his iCloud settings.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Apple specifically states that Photo Stream is not a backup, see iCloud: My Photo Stream FAQ.

5. Tribefan thread starter macrumors member

Well, I just learned something new. I was under the impression that Photo Stream was essentially a cloud backup of the camera roll. Whoops! Lol. Thanks for that link.

6. kabylen macrumors newbie

Damn, I lost all my contacts, any suggestions?