Question regarding model show and release forms

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by slipper, Jul 28, 2009.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I will be filming video at a public modeling venue, do i need a release form for the models performing at the event to display the video publicly? What about spectators sitting along the sides of the stage, do i need a release form?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I am not a lawyer so don't take this as legal advice but the rule of thumb is if you can recognize the person then they need a release. I'd definitely get a signed release from each of the models and anyone that you interview at the show. For the audience you can typically get away w/just posting big signs at all the entrances that taping will be taking place and that by entering the premisses you are consenting to being taped, blah, blah, blah.

Lethal

3. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

It's not my event and i cannot place big signs up. But it is a public event and picture or video taping is encouraged.

4. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Not a lawyer either, but...

It probably makes a difference if you are trying to make money off the video. If not, likely no one will bother you. If so, someone will bother you.

That said, if it is a public event, from a legal standpoint I'm not sure if someone in the audience would have a case. As long as they are just shown as spectators and not, say, portrayed badly (i.e., a caption reading "I'm a fat cow!"), if someone is in public they generally don't have a right to privacy.

However, if they threatened legal action, from a practical standpoint that would probably force you to either hire a lawyer, blur their face, or otherwise edit the video.

I would also keep any literature or print out any page which indicated that taking pictures and video was encouraged. Might mitigate the threat that a model would sue you, they should also have to go after the event promoters.

5. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Probably should clarify that there are 2 issues here -- whether you are trying to profit off an event which you did not stage (and likely have no releases from talent), and the privacy issue.

You don't have a right to try to sell videos of this event, unless you have express permission from everyone involved.

The privacy issue comes into play if you are just posting something or making it freely available. As I said, I doubt that anyone could accuse you of violating their privacy if they are at a public event. (That's not to say that they couldn't try, though.)