Question regarding my rebate... Apple says I'm not in their system?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by klb028, Jul 22, 2007.

1. klb028 macrumors 6502

Not too sure where I should put this thread, so feel free to move it wherever.

My dad and I sent off my rebate for the free iPod nano on July 8-9 (I can't remember the exact day). I have since then tried checking my rebate status online and it's always given me the "Our database does not show any claim of yours in our system." I'm kind of worried, because I'm not sure what to do if something went wrong and will I be responsible for my time running out to fill out the rebate thing? I really just don't know what to do... I tried calling their support number listed on the rebate site and the email they sent me, but it's nothing BUT a pre-recorded operator and everything I do there (following the instructions) gets me nowhere and even when I use my claim # and enter it like the say, it says they don't know of anything under my name in their records.

Is this normal? I know it says I should wait for up to 8 weeks 'til I get something back, but I thought they'd at least "know" of me by now. Please help!

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

:eek:

I have no idea how long it usually takes to get back, but I think you should probably at least be in the system by now. I'd try giving them a call on a general number (maybe the sales department) and asking about it.

Btw, how do you like your Macbook after using it for a few weeks now?

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

when you say you got an email, did you get something that looked like this? i sent off my rebate in the last week of june, and the check arrived sometime last week. i was quite surprised by how quick it was. i'd try calling again. :eek:

Attached Files:

4. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, I'm pretty upset. I don't know what to do because calling the rebate support number doesn't give you to someone who can talk to you, just an operator. But, I'm glad you asked about my MacBook! :) I absolutely love it... I couldn't be happier. I'm glad I made the decision to buy one. I've gotten used to pretty much everything, and I haven't had any complaints!

Mine looked like that, except my claim number and information were included as well as an address to send the rebate to. You sent it off the last week in June? I sent mine off the second week in July. Hmm... I'm kind of really worried now! Crap... I have no idea what could be wrong. :(

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you got an email from them, then they obviously got your request. i'd give it another week or two. if nothing happens, then i'd call them again.

6. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I called the # they give you for support today just to see if anything had changed, and the recording said they had my claim ID and form, but no UPC codes or documentation. How is this possible? Everything was together... the website tells me the same thing and says to allow transit time and such. Hmm... I just didn't think it would take more than 2 weeks, haha.

7. angryshortguy macrumors member

Same problem

Apple Public Relations (408) 974-2042
    Try calling this number to talk to a real person.

I had the printer and the nano rebate.
    The nano rebate hasn't shown up yet, so my printer rebate was not valid (missing original macbook upc sent with nano rebate).
    The person I spoke to was very helpful and friendly. She is sending me a form to correct the problem with the printer rebate and I'm checking back periodically for any information on the nano submission.
    I'm hoping the nano rebate shows up in the next few days. Otherwise, I'm looking at having to re-submit.

I've found it's never a bad idea to follow up on rebates if you want to cash in on them.

Hope this helps.

8. angryshortguy macrumors member

Update

Ok,
    I fully expected to receive an email from the rep at Apple Customer Relations by last night.
    This email was to contain her contact info, incident number, and a form I could fill out and fax back to Apple for my printer rebate to be processed.
    I have not received this email.

So, I get to call Apple again, wait on hold for 5 - 10 minutes, go through the process of explaining the problem again, and generally wasting another 1/2 hour on the phone for something that should have never happened.

Now I find out that my sister in law experienced the exact same problem with her rebates.
    Apple lost her ipod rebate, which caused her printer rebate to be declined.

Sounds like a load of crap to me!

I know people who work for the USPS. Mail does not get lost or stolen.
    Worst excuse in the book. I actually handed the rebates to a USPS employee at a USPS store. My rebate did not get lost.

I'm very upset with Apple for handling rebates in this manner. Very poor way of doing business.

If someone goes through the trouble of calling your Customer Relations department for a problem, you better make every effort to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

Apple sent me a follow-up online survey which I plan on filling out tonight. I hope for the sake of the Customer Relations rep that I receive her email before I hit send. I'm truly pissed off and have the blowtorch ready for the flame!

9. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

Apple told me that both my rebates were missing the same receipt. They were not. I made copies of each item stuffed into each separate envelope AS I placed it IN the envelope.

When I called, the rep was very helpful, though, and I faxed copies of the missing, but not really missing, receipts yesterday.

I am endlessly careful and checked each envelope 5-6 times. Paranoia, anyone? But while I love my comp and iPod and printer, I am very unhappy with the rebate process. How convenient of them to have lost pages that I know were included.

10. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

I'm also very irritated with apple rebates. I recieved this email this morning. They're saying that theyre missing every part of what was supposed to be sent. If that were true, the envolope i sent would have been empty. I havent called yet, but i was just wondering what i should say, or how i should say it, but they lost all my information and how will they believe me.

11. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is kind of ridiculous... especially if a lot of people are having the same problems. I plan on calling tomorrow to check my status, and if the recording says the same thing I'm going to somehow find someone at Apple to talk to. It's not fair if Apple loses our information and I don't get my money back out of the deal. What kind of crap!

12. Dredpuppy@yahoo macrumors newbie

Apple are a bunch of liars

I sent in all my info, and went on line and filled out each different form. I got conformation back, that they received my info, but a month later, they are telling me they only got the printer info. It seems strange since I had to send them a copy of the computer SN, so that I could send the original in with the ipod. They kept repeating to me over and over how the are not responsible for things lost in the mail. I would have never bought the Ipod had I known that apple practices losing their customers info, so they don't have to pay them. Apple are thieves. They lie cheat and steal, to get you to buy more products.
    I won't deny that they make a great computer, but I wouldn't do business with them ever again.

13. Dredpuppy@yahoo macrumors newbie

dosen't matter who you call

I talked to the highest of the high, and they all told me the same thing. The rebate offer is over, and I can no longer get the rebate since they don't have all my info.Very bad business that they would lose that info and not want to help no matter what other info you had. Don't waste your time fighting them, take it to the better business bureal. That's what I did.

14. angryshortguy macrumors member

Banned from discussions.apple.com?

Well, it looks like I can't log into discussions.apple.com to update my rebate saga. So I guess I'll just keep posting here. Apparently apple doesn't like negative postings to their site.
    I am now in contact with another customer relations rep at Apple.
    So far I've jumped through the following apple hoops:
    -Submitted original Rebate requests with all accompanying forms and UPC's.
    -Spoken to eight (8) Apple Representatives on the phone
    -submitted a "Lost UPC Affidavit for Apple Computer Promotional Rebate Claim" form for both the printer rebate and the iPod rebate.
    -Re-faxed the iPod Affidavit
    -Mailed copies of the Submission form, receipt, and affidavit form to apple which cost me another $3.06 to send Certified Mail Receipt.
    This was to ensure it was received by Friday to avoid my rebates from being canceled. You see, if they didn't receive my forms by Friday, I was out of luck.

If I don't have conformation or a check in my hot little hands by Friday, Aug 24th, I'm taking the printer, iPod, and Macbook back to the store and getting a refund.
    I've spoken to Discover card and found that I can't submit a chargeback for the iPod and printer. However, I can take everything back to apple for a full refund. If they refuse, I can charge back the entire amount.

If that happens, I'm buying a Vista laptop.

Worst experience I've ever had purchasing anything.
    Nothing else comes close.
    Apple, you've lost a potential lifetime fan.
    I love the Macbook, but I HATE the way apple is handling this rebate fiasco.
    Just cut me a check!

15. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear about your misfortune thus far. This is the exact reason why I send every rebate over $20 with certified US Mail. This gives me proof that it was delivered and when. It comes in quite handy when I'm told "sorry, we didn't receive it". To which my response is "Actually you did, on xx/xx/07, would you like the tracking number?".

16. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

hey, you do not have to stand for this. Call Apple right now and tell them they can mail you the rebates for the ipod and printer pronto or you will simply do a charge back with your credit card and then file a report with the BBB.

17. angryshortguy macrumors member

Almost there

After almost seven weeks of phone calls, mailings, emails, and faxes, I'm 1/2 way there.

Today I checked the status on my iPod rebate and got the following:
    "Your claim has been processed and fulfilled."

The Printer rebate ($100) is still in limbo, but I've been assured by a customer rep that this rebate is being processed as well and both checks should be in my hot little hands in two - three weeks..

ASG.