Question regarding optibay/hybrid drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hewhohoggs, Sep 19, 2013.

1. hewhohoggs macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I have a quick question about putting a HD into the optibay. I have a SSD currently installed in place of my old HDD. Somehow, I must have damaged the stock 500gb HD when I took it out as it doesn't seem to be working. I am looking for a new HD to place into the optibay (with a caddy, of course).
    Does anyone have any recommendations? I want to install one in order to store some video games, music, movies, etc.
    I came across this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Lapto...79613120&sr=8-13&keywords=2.5+sata+hard+drive

Should I use a hybrid drive like that? Am I able to?
    My current computer is a Mid-2012 13" MBP

Thanks for your help!

2. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

You could use a hybrid drive if you wanted to, but given that it will be a secondary dive for accessing some content it's not likely to speed things up enough to make it worth paying any extra for it. Hybrid drive's are designed to help speed things up by keeping frequently accessed data on the SSD portion. If most or all of what you access frequently is already on your SSD, a hybrid isn't going to provide much performance benefit at all.

>

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Unfortunately hybrid drives are one of the biggest tech band-aids of the last couple years.