Question regarding Passbook without Apple Pay

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by pacmania1982, May 11, 2015.

1. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

So I'm currently waiting for my Apple Sports Watch (42mm SG with black band) to be shipped, so in the mean time, I have been setting up some passbook gift and reward cards on my phone.

As I'm from the UK, we don't have Apple Pay here yet, so was wondering if its possible to setup the gift and reward cards on the Apple watch without having Apple Pay configured.

Any advice would be appreciated.

pac

2. jannette macrumors 6502

I have my My Waitrose and Sainsburys loyalty cards on my phone but not in Passbook. I downloaded an app called Stocard and put them in there and they are on my iPhone.

3. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Yes, your passbook passes will work on the Apple Watch. I have been using my Starbucks card in Passbook on the watch with no problems.

Stocard is also a handy option, but it doesn't force the screen to remain active as Passbook does, so it's a little more fiddly.

4. pacmania1982 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Thanks, I'll be in the US in three weeks time and already have the United app which should put my boarding pass on my phone the day I fly, so hoping that my Apple Watch arrives before then so I can try it out.

I've also setup a US Starbucks account which I'm going to top up with a gift card when I'm out there so I can try paying with Passbook. The same for Dunkin Donuts and my US iTunes account.

Thanks!

5. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

The non-apple pay features of Passbook are really very basic. All they amount to is a common way to present a scannable QR code or similar type of thing. At this time, even if you had relevant gift cars or loyalty cards in passbook, the use of Apple Pay does not interact with those cards. You still have to scan those separately. It was said at the announcement of Apple Pay that eventually such integration will be possible. It's not there yet, though.

6. pacmania1982 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Yeah that's what I'm after. Just more convienient to have all the gift cards on in Passbook rather than carrying around physical cards. I don't mind having to scan the QR code.

7. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Yeah, it's definitely handy. I was more or less just trying to explain how you would not be losing any passbook functionality (besides Apple Pay itself) where Apple Pay is unavailable.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Starbucks and gregs apps add to passbook and you can pay with your watch. Works well too.

Tesco, costa coffee loyalty cards work also

9. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

How do you get your Tesco loyalty card into your phone / watch? I've been wanting to do that for a while.

10. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

The Tesco Clubcard doesn't work with Passbook, but it does work with the Stocard app.

----------

The last couple of times I have been in the US my UK Starbucks card has worked, so if you intend to shop with them in the UK you may not need to bother topping up your US card.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I added it through pass source

----------

https://www.passsource.com/

12. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Oh, I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info. Stocard is useful, but Passbook is better on the watch.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's a great website requires some playing to get it right but once your used to it you can add anything you like really. Lol

14. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

Cheers, I'll check both of those out.

15. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

You're not kidding about the playing! The QR code I have ended up with looks different to that in the Clubcard app, so it will be interesting to see if it works (I know nothing about QR encoding).

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

My qr code looks different too but it works both in store and at the pump so it's all good.

17. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Cool. One last question, did you change the QR encoding type or just use the default?

18. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I used aztec for tesco.

19. jwball macrumors regular

Sorry for being daft, but what template do you use for clubcard?

20. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

I used 'generic membership card' (that's the term Americans use for loyalty cards).

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

22. jwball macrumors regular

I'm either being stupid or the site is useless.

I click generic and just get three fields, one with a date from 2012 and then two empty boxes with no labels. Could anyone give me any pointers what I need to enter where? Thanks in advance.

23. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

24. Zxxv macrumors 68040

When I shopped at tesco I used this site

http://makemeapass.azurewebsites.net

Seems they got asked to remove the feature so I have no idea how the app works but I had no problems with the pass it generated and the guy who runs it was easy to communicate with.

Also found this

http://www.selfpass.net/en/passbook/tesco/

25. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Reviews for the Make Me a Pass app suggest that the passes it generates do not work on the Apple Watch. I therefore didn't buy it. Any actual user experience would be useful.

I just tried selfpass and while it works on the iPhone it does not on the watch.