Question regarding phone number porting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dermot81, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Dermot81 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I've never ported a number before, just have a few quick questions.

The number I want to port is the primary number on a family plan with Verizon. I want the other numbers on the family plan to remain with Verizon; I just want to move mine to AT&T. Before porting, should I call Verizon and tell them to make another number the primary number--so as to prevent any confusion later on when AT&T is moving the primary number? Or does this not make a difference?

Also, what am I supposed to do with my current phone that I have with Verizon? Once the number gets moved to AT&T, the phone will become useless right? Do I have to return the phone to Verizon?

Thanks!

2. retrospects macrumors regular

i dont know about verizon but on sprint family plan, it just makes the next number in line the primary number. dont call becuase they will try to talk you out of getting the phone.
    as far as the old phone, if its in good condition you can donate it to charity of if you really want give it back, but if you felt like it you could trash it. you paid for it:) i hope this helps, again this is what i know from sprint, oh and remember to take your account number and pin or password that way they can pull your number.

3. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

I would call Verizon beforehand to get the primary number switched over. That will make for less headaches when porting, as they will automatically cancel that line. They theoretically are supposed to make another number on the plan the primary, but that doesn't always happen. If you have had your phone/service for longer than 30 days then you can keep it. If your porting before your contract is over then you'll just pay the ETF. If your out of contract, then just keep the phone as a backup for the other members on your family plan. If they like your phone better than the one they own, they can always switch their number to that phone.

4. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

For simplicity reasons, my U.S. Cellular phone is under my wife's name. So if I buy an iPhone under my name, does my wife have to transfer my number to me before the purchase?