Question regarding pre-installed software when buying

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrcat, Dec 5, 2014.

1. mrcat macrumors newbie

I on the look out for a new mac, I haven't fully decided between a mac book pro and an iMac. My question is this, I've seen some MacBooks being sold with software preinstalled, some cases its office and cs6. how would i know if this software is legitimate?

I have a 2012 mac mini which I will be selling but I was under the impression that I should reset it to factory settings before sale. Which I am planning to do but this would mean that pages and logic pro will get wiped and won't be usable by the next owner.

Should I ever trust a mac to be legit if it has preinstalled software or should i only go for ones that have been reset?

Thanks and Merry Christmas :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're buying used and it comes with software preinstalled, then you need the disks or licenses. If the seller is coy about transferring the license then you'll not have a legit copy of the software.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I think for the majority of time that you see software like CS6 preinstalled, its not legit.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I would never consider extra software to be worth anything on a used machine. First thing I would do is perform a fresh install of OS X so anything is lost unless they provided install media and licenses.

4. mrcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies, I think I will go for a refurb from apple or something new if i can manage to. I can't risk getting burnt!

It was an eBay listing that I saw, I noticed that they have sold many similar machines with cs6 installed. Too good to be true? I probably expect so after thinking it through.

link