Question regarding processor and battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lesyork, Jan 31, 2011.

1. lesyork macrumors member

Hi guys.

I don't yet own a MBP, but am looking to do so for Uni after the SBs eventually come out. I've been looking through the current BTOs for the 15" (the size I think I'm going to be getting) and wondered what people's experiences were with battery life with the higher clocked/model CPUs - I've no idea (on average) what you'd expect from the stock 15" compared to the i7 at 2.8GHz etc.

Yes, I realise that I won't be buying a machine with these processors in anyway, but I was just curious as to how drastic (or subtle) the difference is; I plan on buying the most expensive processor I can on the updated machines that I believe would provide me with enough of a performance upgrade for the price, knowing I'll be upgrading the HDD and RAM later on.

Thanks in advance :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Battery life is almost entirely dependent on usage. I don't think there would be a significant difference doing similar tasks on different CPUs on battery life- I thought they all had the same power draw. Maybe Hellhammer- our resident hardware expert- will confirm or deny.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The difference in processors is a minor factor in determining battery life, compared to more significant factors. What apps/processes/widgets you actually have running at any given time, your screen brightness, WiFi, bluetooth, etc. have much more impact on battery life than merely a difference in processors.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ