Question regarding profile & data transfering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnyfiive, Sep 20, 2012.

1. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

So first, here is the preface to my situation.

My toddler son accidentally knocked over a cup of water on my wife's MacBook. I was holding my son and the MacBook was on the bar. Next to the MacBook, was a small cup of water. The cup spilled onto the MacBook (which was turned on and running), so it zapped and its now dead. The hard drive however, is fine.
    Apple doesn't cover it and despite disclosing everything, they didn't give me a break (and I wasn't expecting a break, I left the cup by the MacBook, so its 100% my fault).

So, fast forward to this week, we ordered a new 13" MBP along with a USB adapter to hook up the old drive. Is it possible to transfer a profile from a previous MBP drive to a new MPB? I know there is migration assistant and that works great, if I'm going from Mac to Mac. But in my case, I'm going from USB HD that was once i a Mac, to a new Mac. Anyone have any suggestions/tips for me? I'd greatly appreciate it.

(BTW, we do have a Time Machine backup from about 2-3 months ago. So thats an option as well. However, we'd like to transfer my wife's profile over since it has all the latest pictures/videos. She isn't exactly proactive when being prompted to create a TM backup ;) )

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Are you using the old drive in an enclosure to transfer the data?

You could simply use Migration Assistant as you have mentioned if the old drive was used in a Mac and is currently formatted correctly. If you are looking for more of a "profile transfer" you could try an application that clones the drive such as Carbon Copy Cloner.

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If your old Macbook is truly dead ... you won't be able to use it to migrate your data to the new one. However, you can probably take the disk drive out of the old computer, install it in a cheap USB enclosure, and migrate your data from the old drive that way (I think there is a pretty good chance the disk drive itself survived the accident).

You could try booting the old machine into the remote disk mode, but it may be too damaged to even perform that function.

4. johnnyfiive thread starter macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

Yes, the old hard drive will be going into a USB enclosure. The old drive is working fine so I'm hoping by utilizing the enclosure, that I can transfer a profile and/or files to the new MacBook. The old MacBook is completely dead, so using that in anyway is out of the question. :(

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Use cloning software to image the format onto the new drive.