Question regarding ram and applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chamisool, May 4, 2011.

1. chamisool macrumors newbie

Hello,

I’ve been lurking around the forums for quite some time and decided to register on the forums as I just bought a Macbook Pro. I bought the base 13.3” model and swapped out the ram to 8gb. My question is regarding the swap in ram as I just sold the stock 4gb ram on craigslist.

If down the line my Macbook Pro starts having problems and I have the Genius Bar replicate whatever the problem is to the point they cannot fix it, do they provide a new replacement? If so, do they remove the third-party 8gb ram in my faulty Macbook Pro and swap it with the newly replaced unit? Or, will they just give me a new replacement and I will have to buy another set of 8gb ram?

Thanks~

2. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

you should be able to have them swap the 4gb out of the new unit and put it into yours when getting a refurb. but i am not certain. that way they can just pop yours in as well.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

No, you paid for the RAM in the computer so they would give it back to you and they would give you a new one with 4GB.

4. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that they need the old computer to have the ram in it so i figured they would just pull it out of the new one. I know you would get the 8gb back as you paid for it but i really thought the old computer had to be complete as in the ram intact.

5. chamisool thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I thought of as well, but I was not quite sure if they actually pull out the ram from the new MBP and place it in the old one, since the old MBP would not have any ram to begin with. Anyway, thank you for the feedback!

6. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

every experience i have had in this type of situation is that they will take from the new if the old does not have something. but i guarantee no matter what you will keep your 8gb