Question regarding RAM Mixing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jakerbreaker, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jakerbreaker macrumors newbie

I currently have 12 GB. (2) 2GB and (2) 4GB. I am thinking of buying an 8GB and removing one of the 2GB. I keep reading comments about certain combinations not working or that they have to be the same size in each slot. Would this combination work? (1) 2GB (2) 4GB and (1) 8GB = 18GB

If not what is the reasoning behind it so I have a better picture. Would it work if I got (2) 8GB and left (2) 4GB? Thanks for the help.

2. jakerbreaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Over 370 views and no replies? Somewhere out there is somebody who knows the answer to this.

3. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Ideally you'd want matching amount of memory in both channels, but you'd probably sooner notice the increase in overall ram vs going from dual channel bandwidth to single.

4. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Don't do that, keep your memory dual channel. Either replace with 2x8gb or another set of 2x4gb.

5. jakerbreaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. I would love to know why that is the case if any one out there is able to help me understand it better.

6. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

You do not have to have identical ram latency or speed to benefit form dual channel. Also, you seem to only post link to other topics and guides a lot.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't say otherwise.
    Only when they're relevant, as in this case.