question regarding setting up ssd's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TomKing, Apr 30, 2011.

1. TomKing macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

So i finally took the plunge the other night, and ordered my mac pro online. plus I ordered an OCZ vertex 2 60GB drive (as thats all budget would allow after the MP)

No obviously the SSD is to be the boot drive, but heres the thing, i will be putting in a further 500GB and 250GB drives, its for music production.

BUT

Firstly, as its only a small SSD i obviously want to keep it as minimal as possible, so its gonna be OSX and logic... i see talk of user folders and such... could some one explain this to me, how full its likely to get and also how important it would be to keep them together?

and as part two of that question, what is the absolute bare minimal i can put on to the ssd, as far as OSX goes, and importantly logic, (im assuming that logic and plugins need to be on ssd)

And the next question.

I would like to keep a copy of the ssd on the 250GB which is only to be used as a scrap drive anyway. so what would be the best way of doing that? partitioning 60GB and 190GB, and using the 60GB as the place to superduper! copy the ssd to every so often.

And as the second part to that question, can i have it set up so that if the ssd was to fail, it would auto boot from the back up?

I realise this is abit long. but any help help would be amazing guys.

2. Ommid macrumors 6502

You will have plenty of room, I am not going to waste time waffling, but I think you have the right idea completely, just go for it as mentioned.

Partition the 2nd drive as suggested, use the 190GB for all your production.

I would then keep a time machine of this entire 250gb drive incase anything goes wrong.