Question Regarding SSDs in a MacBook Pro (15", 2.2/2.4 Mid/Late 2007)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yebubbleman, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I have a friend who owns a 15" MacBook Pro of the "2.2/2.4"/"Mid 2007" generation, and I'm planning on buying him a 256GB Solid State Drive for it. That being said, a couple questions (some of them are stupid, so I apologize in advance).

1. MacTracker seems to be of the impression that the SATA connection to the hard drive is 1.5Gbps SATA. Can someone verify that this is correct?

2. Annoyingly enough, I never became aware of whether that is SATA I or SATA II. I know it's not SATA III as that's 6Gbps SATA (right?). Given that, I'm guessing that 3Gbps SATA is SATA II and that 1.5Gbps SATA is SATA I. Am I right about all of this?

3. NewEgg is only showing me SATA II and SATA III SSDs. I'm assuming that if all of my assumptions in Question 2 are correct, that buying a SATA III SSD will not only not work, but is otherwise a waste of my money as the SATA II SSDs will surely be cheaper. Wikipedia also tells me that 3Gbps SATA (which again, I'm guessing is SATA II) is backwards compatible with 1.5Gbps SATA.

4. Given all of these points, is there a specific brand and model of 256GB SATA drive that you'd all recommend? NewEgg is showing me only three brands of 256GB SATA II SSDs, Verbatim, Crucial, and Kingston. Of these three, is there any one that I should avoid or stick with over any other? And why? Thank you all in advance.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

1. You have SATA I in your MBP.

2. SATA I - 1.5Gb/s
    SATA II - 3.0Gb/s
    SATA III - 6.0Gb/s

3. SATA II and III are backwards comparable with previous revisions. They just won't operate at full speed on an older controller.

4. I like the Crucials SATA III offerings, I've read good things about Kingston's newer drives. If you come across a good deal on a newer drive, you can always move it to another computer if you upgrade(unless its got a blade-style SSD like the rMBP).