Question regarding switching to ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edwardlanti, Jul 11, 2007.

1. edwardlanti macrumors regular

I am thinking of switching to ATT from t-mobile cause I want the iPhone and because I get bad service where I live and work with T-mobile... so my question is.. Can I just switch to ATT and get and of their free phone and then buy the iPhone the next day? I am just saying cause no matter what, you cant get a discount buying a Iphone....I am just curious cause I never seen a discussion regarding this and it would be nice to have a extra phone laying down if you ever need to send it to apple

2. fj2007cruiser macrumors member

Yes I did that myself. Picked up 2 Samsung syncs and got the iPhone later that evening. The iPhone sim works in the samsung once the iPhone is activated.

3. edwardlanti thread starter macrumors regular

Oh nice.... that's exactly what I was thinking of doing:) I just found it weird why I havent seen any discussion regarding this....I see that you live in NY as well...how is the reception so far?

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yep and I would recomend it for backup purposes.

The cool thing with GSM is swapping your iphone sim into any other GSM phone will allow you to make and recieve calls from your number. Just won't have contacts ;-)

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I just got a new phone # with AT&T.

I terminated my old number with Verizon for a hefty cost though :(

But, it was worth it :D:apple::apple::apple::apple:

6. Wivellicious macrumors newbie

I was planning to do the same thing, but here's a question AT&T couldn't answer to my satisfaction: If I do that, do I have to pay the activation fee for both phones? It's not a big deal, but if I'm only going to use the cheapo phone every once in awhile, there's no point in shelling more cash for it.

7. Goldenbear macrumors regular

I could be wrong, but I would think the activation fee is for the LINE and not the physical phone.

I'll have to check my bill and see if they charged me and activation fee for adding the iPhone to my plan.

8. The Prise macrumors member

You can do that yes. Here is what I would do if I was in position to.

Buy a new plan from cingular. Get the sync or 2 syncs for really cheap. sell the syncs on ebay. go to an apple store buy your iphone set it up with the new number you have from cingular / att. and you just paid for half of the iphone with the tow syncs being sold on ebay. I sold my sync for 140. used

9. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

You are correct. There was no activation or upgrade charge for existing AT&T customers switching to the phone. Therefore if you were to switch to cingular and get a free phone and then get a iphone, you will only be charged one activation fee.

10. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

I second that, I made my girlfriend do that and she sold her new blackberry 8800 for $408 on ebay. Offset the activation fee, first months payment and cut the iphone cost almost in half.

IMO, best option for anyone switching is to sell their free phone.

11. ChoralScholar macrumors newbie

This is what I want to do, too. When I get my free phone from ATT, do I sell it on ebay with or without the SIM card? I understand the iphone comes with its own SIM card.

12. RMferrer macrumors member

will this still work even if i decide to port my number from verizon? So i go to att and get sign their 2 year contract. Port my number from verizon then activate my iphone later that day/night( i bought it online and it should be here today). And pay whatever fees are involved to use the iphone as an exsisting Att user. Will this work? Like stated above it would be nice to have a back-up.

13. mets1125 macrumors regular

It will def. work :)

14. RMferrer macrumors member

is there a certain amount of time in between i should wait before trying to activate the iphone. I'm probably going to head over to a local att soon after my phone is delivered today(woohoo). Then sign with att, get the free phone or something decent, come and log on to itunes activate my iphone. This should do it correct.

My only concern is that since it takes time approx. 72 hrs to port a number from another carrier. How exactly will that work when i try to activate the iphone? Will there be any problems if the number is not completely ported and I try to activate the iphone? Or can i just get a new number for the promo phone for signing a new contract and then port my number from verizon?

I rather not get a new number bcuz of the inconvience that my patients and staff would have trying to get my new number.

15. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

interesting.

For those of you buying a AT&T plan with the 'cheap' phones (free).. how are you going about adding data to the line? It would be stupendous to sign for a year (rather than two) and get a free phone and then change the plan to accommodate the iPhone once it's gotten.